DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I was thinking of buying scissors and thinning shears to do touch ups on my own. My question is: is there a difference between human scissors/thinning shears and ones marketed for dogs??

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dawn--I don't know the answer, but it might be found in our Grooming group. If not, then the experts in that group might have some tips =)
Thanks, Adina. I didn't realize that there was a grooming group! I just signed up and it is really good! Lots of good info!
I have a staright scissor as well as thinning shears. I groom Max myself - for the most part. I use human shears and i don't *think* there is a difference. Perhaps the only difference would be sizes offered? Make sure to get a shear with a good size grip. The holes on mine seem too small forcing me to grip harder which makes my hands fatigue quicker. I do everything with the scissors. I'm considering getting a clipper for sanitary trimming and paws.
Thanks for the info. What do you use to trim around the eyes?
I don't know if there is a difference but I use the human ones and they work good.
From my exp. I just bought a pair of good everyday household shears. AND, yes make sure you have big thumb and finger grips. The first time I scissor cut Lucy I ended up with humungus blisters, OUCH!!!!!! She does fine trimming around her eyes. She loves to be fluffed and buffed so she sits very still. I just keeping saying, wait, wait and she knows to keep very very still. You can get the scissors with the rounded ends. That would be a little safer.
Good Question. I also would like to know how many teeth would be best for the selection of thinning shears. I see there are 27, 30, 40?
Is there a difference between the ones for dog grooming ( which seem to be much more expensive ) and human thinning shears?
I have an old pair of thinning shears that has 30 teeth. It does a decent job, but I've heard that the 40s leave a less noticeable cut. (more teeth= more refined cut. I think the #20s are used for texturizing, cutting out matts, etc?) So maybe a 40 would be better? I guess it depends on what you'd like to do with them. :)

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the dog and human shears. :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service