DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I recently tried to renew the Heartworm medication, Interceptor and was told by my vet's office and several other supply houses that it was on back order for 6 - 8 mos. So is Sentinel, which is by the same manufacture, Novartis. Has anyone come across this information? As I understand it, it's not a recall problem. Morgan has had some seizure issues and I don't want to take a chance on trying something I'm not familiar with. Any suggestions regarding other Heartworm brands? I know it's something he needs to take every month.

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The medication in this article, Immiticide, is the one used to treat heartworm positive dogs. It's not given as a preventative.

I've used Heartgard for probably 30 years without any problems. My doodle has two immune-mediated diseases and even with those, he is fine with the Heartgard. Some breeds can't take ivermectin, but if you don't have an Aussiedoodle, you should be fine.

Here are a couple of our earlier discussions on the closure of the Novartis plant:

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/healthandmedicalissues/forum/topi...

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/interceptor-on-back-order?...

Some vets and some supply houses may still have supplies in stock--particularly if they are large vet practices or nationwide distributors. I was able to get a 6-month supply of Sentinel from our vet just a couple of weeks ago. You might call around or look online to see if you can still get some Interceptor.

If you need another brand, Heartgard has been in use for a long time. Its active ingredient is ivermectin. I wouldn't have any concern about switching to this, unless your doodle is a shepherd mix, if it is approved by your veterinarian.

The medication that seems to be causing the most concern, especially for shepherd breeds and mixes with mutations in the MDR1 gene, is Trifexis, which contains milbemycin oxime and spinosad. It seems to be this _combination_ that can cause problems for some dogs.

Sentinel and Interceptor contain milbemycin oxime, but cause few concerns.

Here is an article about limited production starting again at the Novartis plan in Lincoln, Nebraska. It seems that production of the animal health products is still suspended, however.

http://journalstar.com/business/local/some-production-restored-at-n...

We use heartguard. No problems

I guess I'm lucky I stockpile and have enough Interceptor for about a year. But really, both animal and human these needed medication shortages are not acceptable.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will read the articles you all suggested and check around to see if I can find a supply of either Interceptor or Sentinel. My opinion of Heartgard has changed since reading all of your comments. I'm so glad to be able to go to DK and get hands-on information that's accurate. Thank you!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service