DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Good Afternoon! 

My name is Michelle and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. Im a stay at home Mom and just purchased my first Mini Doodle named "Stella". Stella is 10 weeks old now, about 6 lbs and doing great! I am so in love with her its crazy! She follows me everywhere, sweet as can be..and is getting along fairly well with my 5 year old Beagle and 2 sweet kitties.

I have SOOO many questions about my new baby. I purchased a book on Amazon to learn about this breed some more ( Did lots of research prior to my purchase) but of course, word of mouth from

all you wonderful folks is always the best! 

Im going to poke around on here and find as many answers to my questions as possible however I will post here also what Id love to know from many of you, if your willing to share :)

~~1. First of all, what is the ONE thing you wish you would have done with your Doodle when they were a puppy?

~~2. Opinion on Bell training this breed?

~~3.  Favorite Shampoo? Do Doodles have dry skin? My baby seems to to bite and scratch a lot however no fleas or anything like that are present. We have never had a flea issue with any of our pets and they are all indoor fur babies :)

~~~4. Crate Training. We crate trained our Beagle, Lucy and it was the best thing I ever did. Made life SO much easier for everyone. My Stella is being quite the pistol with this. She cries and cries and is so attached to me its nuts! I tried the method recommended by a few to get her to like the crate. I put it in the middle of the room, leave both doors open and put a treat in it for her. She enters it, lays down, eats the treat then exits. I repeat this several times but each time I close one of the doors, then open, then close both. She's fine as long as Im there, but the minute i leave she looses her mind! LOL. She had herself so upset the other day ( only in there 15 minutes) that the hair around her mouth was soaking wet! I felt horrible!  Right now, she is sleeping with us ( I know I know, BAD IDEA) but she sleeps absolutely perfect! The minute I turn the light out? She lays down and sleeps the entire night. Doesnt wake us up for potty and doesnt have an accident. Im really quite amazed, however I know this sleeping with us can't go on forever. Any hints on this?

~~~5. Teeth cleaning ( I want to do this myself) any product recommendations?

~~~6. Potty Training: She is doing fantastic with very little accidents in the house, however she is not doing well with letting me know she has to go. I just time things like when she's done playing, eating, wakes up etc to take her out and she goes. But,, its the times when she's not done doing one of those things that she just goes. How do I teach her to let ME know? ( Hence my question above about Bell Training)

Thank you all for your help and to Lori for introducing me to this great site! Im going to spend the afternoon today in between cooking, cleaning & football to look for some great ideas from all you Doodle Mamas and Dads!  

Much love!

Michelle & Stella! 

Views: 400

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michelle - Welcome. Stella is a doll!! I'm sure that you will get many varied opinions on your questions.  Personally, I highly recommend crate training. I had a Snuggle Puppy (purchased on Amazon) for Casey and it really seemed to help him get settled into his crate when we first got him.

I know that many will recommend the potty bells, but we have a doggie door that goes onto a deck then into a fenced yard, so we didn't need the bells.

For teeth, I just use a puppy toothpaste and toothbrush.  For shampoo, I use either Bio-Groom protein conditioning shampoo or Aroma Paws. I particularly like the Vanilla Lemongrass fragrance.

Best of luck to you and Stella.

I actually bought a Snuggle Puppy on Amazon last week and have it in her crate with her for when I crate her ( which for now has just been short 30 minute trips to the grocery store LOL) So far, Im not totally sure if its helping or not.

Thank you so much for the advice & compliments on my baby! :) 

Hi Michelle ~ Welcome to DK.  Your Stella is so cute!  I cannot think of anything that I "wish" I had done differently, and I know I have done some things NOT recommended.  We picked up our 1st doodle Valentines 2011.  He came crate trained, the second night home he whimpered in his crate and I scooped him out and put him up on my pillow.  He slept until I got up in the morning.  We got great sleep from then on! Personally, I love the bells and both of our doodles use them.  Within just a few days they learned to ring them.  Our second dood Beau went through at phase where he wanted to hang from them and ring them for any occasion!  He trashed two sets of bells and I finally put them away for a few weeks until his silliness subsided!  Then I  bought a nice leather set and still use those today. I take the boys to the groomer every 8 weeks for a serious grooming, but I use Tropiclean shampoo (really watered down) if they need to be bathed.  For teeth cleaning, I started using the Virbac veggie chews which contains an enzyme that seem to work pretty good.  I also brush their teeth using the a very soft brush. With potty training, it just takes time for their system to mature.  Being vigil helps and praising success.  

When you get a chance be sure to check out the groups section on the main page.  Many new puppy owners join Puppy Madness & Grooming groups.  There are over 300 groups so something for everyone - jump right in.  Looking forward to seeing lots of photos of Stella and again welcome.

Thank you! I just ordered some Tropiclean shampoo…doodles are known or having sensitive skin? At least that what I read.

I reallllly want to bell train…how did you start doing it? Just by using her paw to hit the bell?

Welcome to DoodleKisses.

Thank you!!

Hi Michelle – Welcome to DK! Stella is adorable! :) To your questions – I don’t use potty bells with my girls, but I know lots of members here do. At this age, you’re doing about all you can – taking her out at those times when you know she’ll need to go, then at regular intervals. You’ll start to learn her signals (and as she becomes aware that she has to go – but right now it’s more “what goes in must come out” lol), and just be consistent with saying whatever your potty phrase is before you go out the door – “let’s go potty” and she’ll start to catch on to the words. If you decide not to use bells, the key will be keeping her tethered, or otherwise very near, to you so she doesn’t have a chance to go off on her own and find a place to potty inside.

I’m a fan of crate training. I think you just have to let her cry it out (most importantly, don’t ever take her out while she’s crying, as pathetic and horrible as it sounds, or she’s just learned she gets out when she cries :) ). If it’s a wire crate, it’s helpful if you cover it with a dark sheet or blanket so it’s more “den-like” and she can’t see the room and what she’s missing. My girls adjusted to the nighttime crate way more easily than daytime. The first time in it during the day, there was loud crying and howling, and it was probably a good 30 min of awful crying before they tired out and stopped – then as soon as there was quiet, I got the puppy out. It was so, so heartbreaking to listen to, but I had to have them crated while I was going to be at work, so we had to get them accustomed to it each of their first weeks home.

For teeth, I brush with a doggie toothbrush and CET enzymatic toothpaste – they go bananas for the toothpaste, and I also use Whimzees dental treats every couple weeks. I use Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe shampoo and conditioner if I bathe in between groomings. (I recall plenty of puppy baths though. ;) ) Check out chewy.com if you don’t already use that with your other pets – great website many of us here use - they have just about everything under the sun. Looking forward to seeing more pics of Stella as she grows!

Thank you! At least I feel I am on the right track.

I really need to get her in the crate at night. I haven't slept NEXT to my husband in almost 2 weeks! LOL

Congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to Doodle Kisses. 

-I guess the one thing I would have done differently is to do a thorough search for a good trainer.  I went through three trainers before I found one who was really knowledgeable and experienced and who actually produced good results.  If I had done a better screening job I would not have wasted as much time.

-I did use the bells and they worked for one of my dogs but not the other.  My older guy will ring the bells when he wants to go out if we're not right by the door...the younger one just sits at the door and waits for someone to let him out.  It takes a long while to teach a puppy to let you know when they have to go out and lots of patience....just be consistent and try to follow the same schedule and routine.

-I'm a believer in crate training for a puppy.  Have you tried putting the crate right next to your bed?  I did this for awhile and would reach in and let the puppy know I was right there....but I did not take them out.  You really should try not to respond by taking her out of the crate when she complains.  Start with short time frames and take her out only when she's quiet.  She needs to learn how to be without you or there is a possibility that she will develop separation anxiety which is difficult to address.

-I get my toothpaste and wipes at the vet.

-Here's a prior discussion on shampoo that may be helpful....it's a few years old but there is some good information.  http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/best-shampoo-for-doodles?p....

We are definitely considering a trainer. I have a beagle who was NOT socialized very well ( my own fault ) that we are paying for now 

Im going to try moving the crate by my bed tonight. I hate to hear her cry, but she has to get comfortable enough with the crate so that Im comfortable enough to leave her!

Thank  you so much for the information!

Hi, welcome to DK.  You are in a great City to have a Doodle.  There are a couple members here that are very active in the Jacksonville area with doodle romps.  Hopefully they will chime in.  There is a Meet Up group page:  http://www.meetup.com/Doodles-of-Jacksonville/ where you can join to find all of the details.  They try to romp at least once a month I think.  Although I live in Ohio I always hook up with them when I come down to FL in the winter time.  We just all got together a week ago.  Had a great time.  Had doodles from NH, Ohio, GA and FL.  So much fun.  As soon as your gorgeous little girl is old enough you will have to meet up with them.  Elizabeth, Bailey and Bruin as well as Lori, Daphne, Lucy and Pippa.  

Thank you! Yes, I was introduced to that group a few days ago by Lori :) How fun! So nice to have local sup

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service