DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

A few weeks ago I went to the shelter to rescue a 14 month old female doodle and met a wonderful man who arrived 2 minutes before me and was first then for adoption of LACEY. May I say he was wonderful, he so much wanted this dog, and would offer it a much better home than I ever could. It all seemed good.

We promised to keep in touch and we have. I have asked him to join us here or on DRC or DK but he wont for some reason??? I really wish he would.

He is having a really rough time with a few issues that I want to put out for advice.

There is no history. She was a stray found roped to a tree at an abandoned home in a bad part of town. She was spotted and reported by a concerned driver as she drove to work each morning. She was believed to be pregnant--but spay at the shelter. Her teeth were filed during the surgery! The pound said she was not a great candidate for a good adoption.

Lacey will not go out. She shakes, cowers, and will barely empty her bladder. She also will NOT go inside the home either. At this time he is picking her up and taking her out but it becomes and emotional ordeal for both of them. She is petrified of the leash so he stopped taking her out on the leash also. This did not remedy the situation.

With our last conversation I recommended puppy pads, poochie bells, and contacting a trainer. Any other ideas for any of you on the bathroom situation?

She does not know how to play. Even squeaky toys spook her. She makes poor social contact in the home--she presents most days in a catatonic stare..... but this to me seemed not unusual and may come around. She is............... great in the stores, in cars and he takes her to work. She likes people, especially women. She does exhibit submissive urination with both. She cowers on many situations. She could care less about other dogs. She does not interact or play with them but does not care if they are around.

Another point: He has bought clothes for her, 10 different types of food, new bed,and everything you can think of to welcome this dog into his home. Is he trying to hard? Leave her be for awhile and let her come around on her own time. He has expressed concerns about whether this adoption will work out.

It is just in his home where she is not happy. My opinion is that this new home where she feels safe, a place where she can finally get some much needed rest to recover from spay, the shelter, and the poor life she had before. She is exhausted and needs quiet time to recover and she will come around. Your opinion on this?

What do you think about the potty situation and her social state at home? I need you to help me help him. One great advice I was given is that she needs to be ignored for awhile, and he should just drop treats.

Anyone have a dog that just did not match with their home? Can this be resolved? Will she come around? Potty training issues? How long did it take your new foster or adopted dog to adjust?

Advice, Opinions, or kicks in the butt are welcomed.

Thanks Joanne

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm only on page 40! I hope I finish reading it.
She mentioned that in her speech too. She was very entertaining and funny. She is BRILLIANT which helps a lot in her ability to function in the world but she had a "handler" to help her. She had to have things just "so" before she could begin.
:-o interesting.
I can only say what issues I have gone through...with Honey and other types of Rescues I have. Honey was scared and didn't want to come to anyone, first night she almost bit me at my friend Barb's house. We left her outside to go potty, and no matter what we did she would not come in, so that meant I had to go pick her up and carry her. She would not walk on a leash at all, she would not do steps and we lived in a bi-level. When I would pick her up she would always feel like she was cornered. The only way I could get her use to being on a leash was to attach it to her in the house, and let her drag it behind her, keeping a close eye on her so she didn't get tangled up in anything. As the day would go on...I would pick up the leash and act as though we were walking together, but letting her do the leading in the house, eventually we moved this to outside. Bonding with her was very very hard. I would sit for hours with her on the floor and let her come to me, I would offer her something special so she learned it was ok to come and she could trust me. When she would come I would gently talk to her, telling her it was ok...she is a good girl...reinforcing what she was doing is okay. If she got scared and took off on me in the house, I did not chase her, or go look for her, usually she would be in her Crate and when she was ready to come out and be with me that was okay also. Honey still does not totally trust everyone, nor do I think she ever will. It took her at least the first 4 months to start to adjust being in a "home" and having someone who "loves" her. As for potty training her, you would think all of this would have been easy since Hannah (my first doodle) is here with her. NOT...she has a mind of her own, totally two different personalities. Honey was 1 year old on July 2nd and is still not totally potty trained, she will still have accidents and does not tell you when she has to go. I take her out several times a day and hope that one of these days it will totally sink in. Honey has come a long way with different things, but it was time and being consistant with her that has helped the most. I couldn't tether her to me when I first got her because of her fears, now it is an option since she is not only walking on a leash, but loves to go out alone or with Hannah on the double leash. One of the best books you can read is called "Scaredy Dog" by Ali Brown...here is some information about her and also her website, how you can contact her and ask questions....she is located in PA, and would probably know other animal behaviorist in your area....

http://www.greatcompanions.info/AboutTrainer.html

Ali Brown graduated from Ursinus College with a B.S. in Psychology, and earned her M.Ed. in Human Development / Behavioral Science from Lehigh University. Working earlier in her career as a behavior therapist/consultant with mentally challenged children and adults, she made a fulfilling switch to working with dogs twelve years ago.

She is currently on the Board of Directors of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, In 2001, Ali became one of the first 100 trainers to receive her CPDT title (Certified Pet Dog Trainer) from Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT). In May 2008, she became a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant (CDBC) through the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC). Ali takes great pride in providing non-force training methods for dogs and their people, and is a member of Truly Dog Friendly (TDF) trainer group, dedicated to using only non-coercive training methods.

She lives, trains and works with Acacia, an 11-year-old Belgian Sheepdog, and Bing, a 4-year-old Belgian Sheepdog whose antics qualify him for his own section of this Website.
Ali is a great believer in forever learning. She attends seminars and conferences regularly. Recent continuing education events Ali has attended include a week-long Chicken Camp, run by behavior guru, Bob Bailey, and hosted by Terry Ryan in Washington State; and a two-day seminar on shaping run by Pat Miller in April, 2008. She has also been involved in reviewing test questions for the CPDT test for accuracy, clarity and validity. This involved a trip to Manhattan to the offices of the Professional Testing Corporation and was conducted for the CCPDT (Council for the Certification of Professional Dog Trainers).

Giving is as important as receiving, and Ali does just that. She has been traveling the nation, delivering her day-long seminar on fearful and reactive dogs (www.ScaredyDog.info); this seminar has taken her as far as Arizona and Florida. Ali leaps at any invitation to share the information she has learned regarding this issue.
Thank you all so very very much for your help, expertise, responses, opinions, and love for dogs and their families.

I left Jim a voice mail message telling him where to find this discussion. So far no news.

But no news is good news.

May he and his beautiful new girl find peace for many years. "_
Amen. :-D
Joanne, was there ever an update about Lacey? How did things work out for her?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service