DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Help is needed please... Pongo hates his lead... We have just been practicing in the garden prior to us going away with him this coming weekend (he is allowed out finally) he point blank refuses to move when I put it on him! He cries like you have never heard!!! He does anything to avoid walking.. lies on his back etc.. I have to virtually drag him by the lead to get him to move..... any ideas and help very much appreciated... I need to get this sorted by FRIDAY!!!! Thank you in anticipation!!

Views: 37

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Get a long wooden spoon with peanut butter to lure him up and walking and as he does, let him lick it. He will get the message something GREAT comes from walking on the lead and will learn to love it :) Remember he is so young and will need time. also keep the lead on him in the house.....let him drag it around and get use to having it on.........this will also helps in other training areas as well for you to have him on the lead and control. GL :)
Many young puppies are slow to take to the lead, it is not a "natural" thing for them like other behaviors. The PB idea is a good one. This will not get "solved" in a fe days. Luring with treats or dangling a favorite toy, bending over so that the treat you are "luring" him with is at his eye level and repeat for short training bursts. He may only go a few feet at first and that will be cause for a puppy party. Keep it going and extend the time as much as you can always ending on a happy and positive note when he takes a few steps or walks a while. Do not stop when he digs in, end on a happy note so he considers this fun time with mom. If you can borrow another dog this can help enormously for him to walk in a small pack. Good Luck
Tamara has offered great advice!
I teach new puppy leash skills by allowing my puppies to wear their collar and leash in the house for a few days. They drag the leash as they walk and play naturally. When I see that they are not concerned with the leash (sometimes happens the first day) I take them out for a short lure and treat walk, they really dont go far, a few feet and treat, repeat.

You can accomplish this in a few days but you have to be highly rewarding.

I have taken adult dogs (surprisingly who have never walked on a leash) put a leash on them and walked, they sometimes lay down or fight like a bucking horse. I just walk, looking over my shoulder, calling their name and praising them. I walk with a purpose not slow and meaningless... more of a power walk pace, if the dog is really challenging a martingale or pinch collar will help.
Thank you for your replies! I've just been telling my mum all about Pongo and his lead and put it on him to show her how he is.... sure enough he didn't murmur!! Making me out to be a liar LOL! I think it may have been because there was someone there and his attention was a little distracted.... It was certainly a massive improvement on how he was earlier so I will keep persisting and try again later.. He is quick to learn with other things so hopefully he'll learn quickly that the lead isn't his enemy!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service