DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I brought my doodle home last weekend.  The breeder said he had a loose stool.  The problem continued so I brought a stool sample to the vet on Monday.  On Tuesday they called to confirm that he had roundworm, though he had been dewormed just a few weeks earlier.

On Tuesday afternoon, Wrigley took his two Drontal pills, prescribed the vet.  It has now been over 72 hours since then and his stool is still pudding like.  Last night, I was up every 1 1/2 hours with him.  He pooped at 11:30, 1:00, 2:30 and then tried to at 4 and 5:30.  I know this is not normal but hope it means that the stupid parasites are working their way out.

Anyway with experience....how long does it take for him to be over this and for his stool to return to normal?  It's making nights miserable since I know he can't hold it.

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To firm up his stool while the meds kick in you could try adding 1 tbsp of plain (unsweetened) canned pumpkin or boiled mashed yams or squash to his meals for a few days.

I'm not any help with how long it takes to get over worms, but this might make things easier on you and pup!

When my last puppy had this problem, I ended up changing what he ate. I took all wheat away. Not sure this would help your case, just thought I'd throw it in.

Daisy had round worm when we got her 12/26/2009, took her in for a well check on Monday the 28th...it took 5 treatments (I believe it was Sentinal) to get every last one of them gone I was so upset. By the last visit 2-23-2010 it was finally done - 2 months later.

She did not have watery stool but it wasn't really firm until after. I was not on DK at the time or I would have known about the pumpkin.

What are you feeding?

I wouldn't be surprised if he also has giardia, and that would not necessarily have shown up in the stool culture, as the incubation period is 10-14 days. You may need to bring in another specimen and have them check for giardia is this continues. He will need Panacur for that. I hope it improves on its own.

I agree completely about the possibility of giardia. Owen had it and it didn't show up in one stool sample. I'm sorry you are enduring this. I hope your little Wrigley feels much better soon. :o(

I would also strongly suggest that you not change her food from what the breeder was feeding, including treats, until the stool issue is resolved. Otherwise, you won't know if the loose stool is being caused by parasites, the food change, or the stress of a a new home.

Sorry you are going through this. I got my puppy at 8 weeks old 3 weeks ago and she came to me with the poops too. After negative stool sample and 2 weeks later me hounding the breeder she admited other pups in the litter had Giardia. So we are on day 5 of treatment and still have the poops but they are getting better.  But after 3 weeks of this I feel your pain.

I hope this passes fast for you.

Alma came home with a parasite too.  Sounds like you're on the right track with your vet.  Ask your vet about food - if you should feed a bland diet of rice and cooked chicken.  I'm not sure about the pumpkin since pumpkin worked the opposite for Alma :((   Also ask if you need to clean his bedding and where he potties - even his paws when he comes in.  I would immediately clean up after Alma in the yard for months- because the parasite can live for a long time.  Bleach was my best friend.  Good luck.  Please don't get discouraged.  Let him out when he needs to go and know that this Will get better.

Thanks everyone! I definitely plan to call the vet tomorrow and see if I can bring in a follow up stool sample and to ask about testing for giardia. I went ahead and fed him chicken and rice last night. He just had so many poops the night before last and all day yesterday that I felt badly for him. Last night my husband was on duty and only had to take him out to pee at 2am. Normal puppy! :-). Thanks for your well wishes. It has been a rougher puppy road than I was expecting. Glad I found this forum for support.

Sasha had Giardia when I first got her, it two rounds of treatement to get rid it.  I don't recall any poop issues when she was on the meds.  Oliver would have very loose poops after his shots which would last a day or so and I guess it depends on the dog too.  I hope Wrigley feels better soon.... poor doodle :(

is this a problem I should be expecting when I get my puppy in June?  can any of you tell me who your breeders were???

Judy, check out the 'what to look for in a good breeder' group first of all and secondly ask lots of questions once you choose a breeder.  It seems perfectly reasonable to ask about parasite control.  When your puppy was last wormed and what drugs were given.  I would not take a puppy home with a loose stool.  That is my personal opinion having read several new puppy stories that turned out to be Giardia or other parasites.  I had no problem with my puppy and had very good advice from my breeder.  Even the best of breeders can have these problems in their litters though obviously scrupulous hygiene and good breeding practice will eliminate the probabilities of these issues arising.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service