DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,

I was hoping for some help and guidance from experienced doodle owners.  My wife and I recently move to the suburbs and we finally have a house with a yard to allow us to get a labradoodle.  The problem is, we both work long hours (typically 8-6 or so).  We have no problem walking/playing with a dog in the morning and when we get home at night and hiring a dog walker to come during the day.  I would also probably be able to work from home for a week or two when we first got a dog to help him/her get used to our house.  I am just afraid that even with that, the dog would still be home alone for long periods of time.  I was hoping I could get some feedback on whether this situation could work or if it would just be cruel to the dog.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thank you.

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm no expert but I think if you are able to give the dog your time when you get home from work then you are fine with what you described. I work 7-4 and stop at home during lunch to take my dog for a walk. When I get home I spend about 2 hours with her outside making sure she gets enough exercise and play time. When bedtime rolls around we are usually both exhausted. On nights that I have plans I will send her to day care so that she can play all day making up for the crate time she will have at night. 

Possibly in the future when the pup settles down, you may be able to leave all the work day.  I'm on my 3rd dog and didn't have to worry during the day at all.

I would also recommend starting whatever routine you plan to have right away rather than staying home for a week with the puppy. It will help it to get on schedule and time in the crate while you are gone will help with crate/potty training

It really is a huge commitment. Your questioning whether the time you have would be enough.  Think of the next 12 years in your life. Will you continue to get up early in the mornings to give your dog a walk and play time or will it get old after a few months and when the weather is crummy? Will you and your wife enjoy spending most evenings at home including your dog in these home activities?   A dog will love you unconditionally and will want as much of your time as you are willing to share. Think long term. If you both really want a dog to enrich your life you can make it work; just know that if you truly want to make the dog’s life wonderful, there will be some drudgery and sacrifice on your part. 

I agree with this. Also think about no more sleeping in on the weekends, ever. No more after-work drinks, dinner out, or activities, ever. Gotta go straight home, every day. And when you think several years down the road, if human babies are in your plans, think about how you will manage to continue to give the dog time & attention that must be shared with an infant or a toddler. Doodles need training, exercise and regular grooming, and that adds up to many hours every week and every day.

Also, think about finances. Many people underestimate the cost of owning one of these dogs, and I'm not talking about just the purchase price. Even an adult doodle with a non-shedding coat is going to cost you at least $200/mo; puppies require all kinds of extra vet visits, including spay/neuter surgery, equipment and training classes, and that costs $$$ that first year or so. If you travel, boarding expenses can be very costly. Dog walkers and daycare are also pricey. Doodle Rescue has a question on the adoption application: "Estimate the annual cost of your dog's care, including food, vetting, grooming, toys, training, etc." Many people put down a figure that wouldn't even cover the annual grooming expenses for a standard doodle with a non-shedding coat. (In my area, that figure would be about $700-800, minimum.)
I commend you for thinking this through carefully. it is, after all, a 12-15 year commitment to a living, thinking, feeling being. 

Great points here about lifestyle.  Our dogs are family members.  We don't go on vacation much because we don't want to leave our dog, we limit evening/weekend outings to a couple hours at a time, right now puppy needs out and needs her breakfast at 6:15 AM precisely (she must have a watch in that crate somewhere..). ;)

We were dogless from when we lost Luna in May until we got Riley in September and it was a LONG few months.  Despite all the hard work and restrictions having a dog places on our life we really do want to always have a dog in our lives. :)  Making our dog happy and giving her a great life makes us happy.

Has either of you raised a puppy before?  Or at least grown up with dogs?  That would certainly make things easier.

A neighbor of ours got his first dog at the age of 36 or so and had a really hard time coping with all the responsibilities.  He has a handle on it now but it was rough for a while.

When you are home the dog will require a lot of your time and attention, especially if you get one that requires daily grooming.  Others have mentioned the cost factors as well.  Lots of good info there.

We have a puppy Riley (4.5 months old) who we brought home at the end of September.  DH and I both work full time... however I'm often working from home for part days or all day a few times a week.  This makes it easier on any dogs we may have because they are only alone all day 2-3 times a week max.  I'm also going to be on maternity leave soon, so that should get Riley through the rest of her puppy phase without being alone more than a few hours at a time.

Our previous dog, Luna was alone all day though starting at about 9 weeks old and she was fine (but same situation where I was home at least 1-2 days a week).  

It's definitely workable to have a puppy alone all day - be prepared to make a playpen type area that you can make as safe/comfortable as possible.. but also be prepared for that area to be destroyed on a daily basis which means cleaning it thoroughly (and possibly the dog) daily.  Also be prepared that the puppy may get destructive while they are alone (Riley has started chewing baseboards... even ones sprayed with bitter spray).  For Luna we kept her in an exercise pen but Riley is simply too big/strong and can push that exercise pen wherever she pleases.  She's in a baby gated-off tiled area instead but this allows her access to the baseboard chewing... Anyway if you do end up getting a pup there are lots of options for making a safe area for them while you are at work.

Good luck and good for you for taking the time to get prepared and educated before diving in :)

And do let us know your decision, please.  If it is to get a puppy, we can all be a great resource for you.  There is even a group called Puppy Madness.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and suggestions.  I take them all very much to heart.  I have wanted a dog for as long as I can remember and my wife grew up with a dog but hasn't had one in a few years.  That said, the last thing I would want to do is treat a dog cruelly.  I am debating if it makes more sense to wait until we have a child (which we hope will be in the near future) when we will have someone home all the time (or at least most of the time).  That said I am curious if it is better to get a dog before having a child (to get them used to the house without a baby running around) or after so they get used to the baby.  Again thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.  Any other thoughts on working and adopting a puppy are always helpful.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service