DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

*Note:  post being made while being influenced by feelings of frustration*

So how old was you dog when he became a “good” walker?  Okay Gavin is just a puppy, one week shy of 6 months and maybe my expectations are too high, but after 80 minutes of walking a day, everyday for the past three months, I would hope that he would be better.  The issue is pulling forward and to the side and picking up rocks on the road.  He was loose leash walking about 75% of the time (unless he spotted a person or dog, then surged forward).  However the last few days it has been a near constant struggle.  Heeling in class is a joke because he is surging forward to catch the dog in front.  He is not dominant or aggressive in any way – just wants to visit EVERYONE!  He has a pretty decent sit-stay, down-stay, even with distractions and is well mannered in the house.  He also knows a wide variety of tricks.  His recall is so-so.  I have done the stop, make him sit, turn and go the other way routine.  Also lots of positives (praise and treats) when is does the right thing.  The trainer would like to try a plastic pinch collar on him tomorrow (Triple Crown).  I am pretty consistent and a good leader but my “calm, assertive energy” is waning on walks.  My husband shares in the training and is pretty consistent too.  Are my expectations too high?  Also to add, he weighs nearly 50lbs.

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You guys are awesome! Thanks everyone for all of the tips and encouragement. You can be sure that I will take it all on board.
10 months old and still waiting (or I should say, still working).
Just an update. What a difference a couple of weeks make! Two more weeks of obedience class, a Herm Sprenger pinch collar and some really good liver treats to reward him when he's doing the right thing. Walking has been much better. In fact in general Gavin seems like he's turned a corner. He seems to be listening better overall; more attentive. We went to the dog park on Saturday and I used the opportunity to test his recall. I called him to me half a dozen times, gave him a treat and a quick pet and sent him back to play. He came every time. I was just thrilled with him.
Great news! Training is awesome...it makes life so much easier for us and our Doodles.
I just worked with a trainer yesterday with my 15 month (30 pound) Mini GD on leash walking. She had us use a link chain collar with a leather leash. The difference in just 90 minutes of training is amazing. There is a right way and a wrong way to put the collar on so I would recommend working with a trainer on how to use it. I wish I did this months ago. She stayed by my side almost the whole walk today with very little correction needed.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service