DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My mom was out walking her 6 pound Yorkiepoo last night and a loose black lab ran across the street and grabbed the yorkie in his mouth and shook him like a rag doll.  My mom is 72 and is not much of a match for a big dog, but she said the owner ran over, got his dog and left.  She ended up taking the pup to the emergency vet to get treated for multiple puncture wounds and had drain tubes installed.

Having never been in this situation I'm wondering what the proper way to handle this is?  Is the owner of the attacking dog responsible for any vet costs?  Should it be reported to Animal Control? 

Views: 1117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oh my goodness how scary! Poor little yorkipoo!

Yes, the other owner is 100% responsible and your mom needs to report the incident. I hope she knows who the owenr is.

Someone once told me that rather thantrying to get involved in a dog fight, pull out some treats and scatter them. The other dogs will get distracted by the treats and you can grab your dog and get out of there. Not sure if it works, but it's worth a try for your mom if it ever happens again.

They do have special sprays out there to keep dogs away (safely) maybe she should have something on her at all times. Also, my husband found me a little keychain thing that makes a loud noise when you out the pin out, it would probably scare the dog away. We have leash laws and the owner should be reported and responsible for the charges. Really just took the dog and walked away??? I hope your mom's dog is ok and that she can follow up on this and maybe find some ways to be prepared due to her age.

I'm just wondering whether the noise or the spray could actually make things worse.....further excite the dog.  I really don't know.

I work at Petsmart, and we use air horns to stop dog fights. It works for a short period of time, long enough for owners to separate their dogs to a safe distance. 

Good to know...thanks.

An air horn would have startled the attacking dog. The owner of the attacking dog should be given a copy of the vet bill and pay in full. By all means, contact animal control or police and report the attack.

That is very frightening. Your mom certainly should report this so that perhaps the proper authorities can warn the lab owner about having his dog loose. I'm glad the Yorkie wasn't hurt more seriously although this was bad enough. Maybe your mom needs to carry peeper spray or something. I do think the lab's owner should pay for the vet care. Somehow I wonder if scattered treats are more enticing than a small animal you could shake.

I just talked to her and she is going to file a police report today.  She's still a little shaken up and wasn't able to sleep as he was constantly trying to pull the draining tube out.  Sounds like he's still in bad shape and has not gone to the bathroom yet.  There is bloody fluid coming out of the draining tube, he's not eating his food but he will eat boiled ground beef and rice...so that's good.

That's good advice on a spray/noisemaker, I'll pass that on.  She said it all happened so fast that she didn't get the address of the guy's house, and since he just grabbed his dog and said "you can't do that" to the lab and left she didn't have his name or anything.  Luckily my sister has the day off and is going to help as I'm 4 states away.  Pretty scary situation for her.  

Keep us posted ok??

This is terrifying. I hope your sister is able to drive your Mom past the place it happened and get the address of the perpetrator. I am sure your mother was absolutely traumatized as was her little Yorkipoo. I hope he does well recovering. Please keep us updated. 

I just saw this but when our dog had her drain tubes in the vet told us to keep baby onsies on her to keep her from irritating them. Her drain tubes were in for a while, so this was really a lifesaver. Just make sure if she does this that she changes them often because like you said there is going to be fluid coming out of them. Hope this helps them both get some sleep and the dog is feeling better!

How awful!  Definitely report it!  I was wondering about how to break up a fight too, as we encountered two loose dogs last week - one small one who was attacking Gavin's ankles (we were just able to move through this) and another Golden who wanted to play, but it was too out of control (I had to stand and wait until the owner grabbed him).  I was super worried when we went by a notorious Rottie's house who lunged and barks through the window.  He was off leash in the driveway but did not approach.  I was think oh boy what would I do with him??

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service