DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am a new mom to a mini-goldendoodle, Rollo.  I decided to get Rollo because 1)  I have wanted a puppy for years and 2) I am moving to a new city for a new job and wanted a companion so perfect timing, right?! Rollo's training is going really well, he is extremely well-behaved and is just an awesome dog in general.

My new job is a 45 minute drive away and I will be work around 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I would feel awful leaving Rollo alone that long everyday and want to try daycare. Do you have any opinions about how old a dog should be for daycare?  Have you had positive/negative experiences with daycare? Any advice? 

I am also considering getting him therapy dog certified so I can bring him to work with me :) I am a speech therapist at a nursing home and I am sure the residents would love a visit from a pup. Thank you for your feedback.

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would think that once he has had all of his shots that he should be fine for daycare.  Most daycare places have separate areas for small dogs or small puppies.  Just check them out really well and check for complaints or issues on line first.  Many people like one that has a camera where they can watch on line.  Not all of them have those though.  As for the Therapy certification one thing you will need to keep in mind is that if you are using him in the performance of your job most of the Therapy organizations are not going to cover your insurance.

Great points! I was planning on checking out the facility as soon as I moved there. I don't think they have the camera option :/  Thank you for the advice!

Hi!

We had our pup in daycare as early as 12.5 weeks - but it wasn't everyday. They separate the pups in size, but they also had a quiet area in the front desk for small puppies that can't really play all day. Luckily Margot loves going to daycare (just once a week right now), but I know some people find dog sitters/walkers are better for their pups. It might be good for a backup too in case your pup gets sick and can't go to daycare.

Also, each daycare has a different way of handling first visits so you might have to plan for that. Where we live, the place we go to gets fully booked, especially when it's cold. So getting your dog a spot can sometimes be a challenge!

Thanks for the reply! Its always good to hear daycare success stories. I am looking forward to seeing the facility next week. I really hope they separate the big and little dogs because Rollo is still so small he would easily get trampled! I am excited about him socializing with other dogs though. Getting a dog walker is my last resort just because it is so expensive ($12) for only a 15 minute walk when I can get a full day of daycare in for close to the same price (~$15-20 depending on the package you buy). 

We put Sulley in daycare at 4 months for two half days (4 hours) a week and he loved it!  You may want to try putting him in every other day as we found even with a half day Sulley was pretty mellow the day after.  Since getting Molly they both go about once a month.

Love the idea of getting Rollo therapy certified, I'm sure he, you and the residents would benefit greatly from it!

A decent daycare will not accept a puppy who is not fully vaccinated. Plus, it would not be safe for her. Parvo and Kennel cough are extremely contagious.
Our Daycare costs $15 a day.

Yep, once he has all of his shots he should be fine. Put mine in the day after his last shots, no issues, and he loves day care more then anything. But overall, even though you feel bad, just do the best you can. 

We used PetSmart daycare about 1-2 times a week until recently.  It's great to wear him out, but I honestly cannot stand the way he smells after playing with other dogs all day.  I guess they play bite and his hair is just Yucky.  Now he goes to his groomer's shop and they have small play area and always a few dogs to keep him company.  When he was a pup, he was crated and I had a walker come in mid day to exercise and potty break.  Good Luck! 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service