DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Duke is going thru a stage I guess, he doesn't want to listen when he gets outside.  We call him and he refuses to come.  When he sees another dog and he refuses to listen to the human language and wants to run with them.  I really want to let him off the leash at home but he is ignoring anything we say. He originally had a phobia about the collar and leash, so we try to keep it a reward to wear it. Come is a non audiuble word to him.
He use to play fetch and was so happy, all the sudden he walks to the stick or ball and runs away from it. He is refusing play.  He really thinks he is funny and has this attitude of who cares.  Does this behavior slowly correct itself, he is 6 months now?    

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

how do you react when he doesn't come? I'm not sure I understand the "reward" thinking behind the leash? How can being onleash a reward?? It should just be a natural part of your routine of walking him. Without knowing the details, it seems like he is very excited to be outside and explore the world and socialize with other dogs. Nothing wrong with that at 6 months of age (in fact, it tells you that he's a curious, normal, and intelligent puppy!!), so you have to make the "come" part exciting by rewarding him with praise and/or a treat. If you scold him for coming back to you, he sees this as something to be avoided. You could try putting him on a really long leash (use rope) and practice the "come" command... if he ignores you, tug on the rope to break his attention to whatever he's focusing on at that time. And be sure to praise and reward the come every time, or he will just pursue something that's more fun and interesting. Also reward the come with time to roam around so he learns that if he does come, he'll get offleash time. I don't necessarily agree that he "thinks it's funny" - that's human way of thinking, not dogspeak. All in all, it sounds like you may be expecting too much from him at this age. Have you started him in a puppy or beginner obedience class??? If not, I highly recommend that, so you can build your confidence and he can practice the basic commands in a safe and fun environment. Best of luck!!
"Doesn't listen" is just another term for "He needs to finish obedience training."
Dogs don't just listen to us unless we've trained them and practiced lots in all sorts of places (outside, inside, downtown, parks, wherever dogs are allowed) and around all sorts of difficult distractions. To do this well, most people benefit from going to many obedience classes so they are led by a trainer who can teach US (the humans) how to train our dogs so they do listen. He's young and has realized it pays to do what he wants...training, and only training, can fix that.
We've had some problems with Holly not coming when called when she's off leash with distractions. We're in the process of training and training trying teach her to respond better to us. We've also implemented using a whistle as a no fail method, every time we blow it she gets a jackpot of treats.We started this because I had a bad experience at the dog park where she wasn't listening and it put her in danger. She has never not responded when we blow it since we've started training her with it. I wanted this method in case she ever is in danger and we need her to come to us immediately, and we now carry a whistle with us when we go out.
What a great idea. I am going to impliment the whistle jackpot system. Thanks Laci!
I will try the whistle reward idea for sure, I really appreciate all the ideas. Obedience training will help too. I am waiting for one to start in the area. Thanks for the support and info.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service