DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello Doodle lovers,  My little boy, Bentley, has spent the last 72 hours on an IV in the ER.  He got a hold of a bottle of Ibuprophen.  The vet saved his life. Just 1 , 200mg iburophen can cause kidney damage and ultimately renal failure. 12 hours after ingestion Bentley's kidney's were failing. He's home now and expected to have a full recovery.  He's back to his silly self.  I'm beating my self up for not being more diligent in keeping an eye on him.  These guys can be so sneaky. Just wanted to let you all know of the dangers of over the counter meds. Here's to watching these guys like a hawk!

Views: 345

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so glad he is going to be okay, THis is a real wake up call for me, I have massive amounts of medication all over my house….. My family is always telling me I am not careful enough ...

Today.. on my nursing assistants list is to gather all my medications in one place, It is so hard when you take them all throughout the day and night.. one pill dropping on the floor…    I need to do better, thank you for the reminder and I am so happy he is okay.

I have heard in the past two days now dogs almost going into renal failure, one was my friends dog who ate a few leaves off a hydrangea plant, The other ate seven raisins out of a lunch box, and now this..   

Bad things come in threes so hopefully that's it!

Hope you are all better now Bentley!

Not to scare anyone... but NSAIDS (this class of drugs) can be potentially toxic for our kidneys as well.  Be careful with any of the drugs in this class and drink plenty of water at times you take it.  (Includes Aleve and Motrin/Advil)

I personally avoid them, because I had some unrelated kidney injury years ago and try to take special care of the old beans!

I see many patients in ICU with chronic or acute renal failure who developed it through either many years of use for chronic conditions, or even short term higher level exposures.

Good reminder.  And that photo is so sweet.  I should probably be more careful - lucky for me that Libby has no interest in anything that's not hers, but one never knows.  So glad Bentley is recovering!

So glad he survived.  Does the vet say he will have any long-term kidney problems?  I hope not!  Please keep us posted and if you encounter any long-term issues (praying you don't), please contact me for help.  My chi has had kidney disease for the past 7 years after ingesting recalled treats over the course of a few months.  So hopefully your one-time case is no big deal.  Don't want to cause panic, but keep this in mind.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service