DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have been involved in the breeding and adopting of Australian Labradoodles for almost two years now. I have been so confident to offer these guys to people with dog allergies with great results, no one has had to come back. I have a woman who has a daughter that was allergy tested, she is allergic to both the coat and saliva. Does anyone know how someone like this reacts to these dogs? Any experiences or stories to share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Danielle - I too get the itchy rash when I'm licked and stuffy nose, and tight chest, etc....
Are you allergic to other things or just dogs and do you have to take those meds for the other allergies or just for your dog?
Thanks!
Leslie
Hi Leslie,

I'm allergic to everything except mold. So - cats, dogs (dander and saliva), trees, grasses (pollen), dust mites some food because I have oral allergy syndrome.

I currently take singulair, zyrtec and flonase for all of the above. I don't have any problems with Max. He is an F1 mini LD but, he seems to be a non shedder so far. Of course, I'm not a doctor so I will suggest seeing a one to confirm allergies and what type of meds are best suited to you. I have some severe allergies and even I have considered cutting back to only the Zyrtec. FYI - You can get Costco brand OTC Zyrtec for a VERY good price and the bottle has just about a years worth of medication. Something to keep in mind if that is the route your doctor thinks you should take.

~Danielle
PS Adina thanks for bringing this to my attention.
It is so hard to say how someone will react, it is very unpredictable. Also, someone may be fine with the puppy coat, and then become allergic when the dog gets its adult coat - very difficult situation as you have then had the dog for some time. I am allergic to animal saliva, fur, dander, dust, hay, pollen (I too have had allergic reactions to "hypoallergenic" dogs such as poodles) etc etc. I got very lucky when we got our F1 labradoodle as I didn't get too allergic to him. But, I do take two oral and one nasal inhaler to control my symptoms. I do get a rash if he licks me and I cannot touch my face after touching him 'cos it will itch and then swell!! We took the risk an I got lucky. It is up to them if they want to take that risk too, I would also talk to them about contingency plans. What will they do if the daughter does develop symptoms, will they get rid of the dog??? Can they come to your place and spend some time with some adult dogs to see how she reacts to them? There are a series of injections that she could have to try and recude her symptoms - I looked at this before we got our dog incase things got too bad. Hope this helps some. At the end of the day as Adina says, no dog is truely hypo-allergenic, some are just more so than others!!
They are about 4+ hours away so it is hard. I appreciate your personal story. She has expressed a possible Asthma attack as a reaction, pretty serious.
4 hours is NOT that far for such a commitment. We drive to Portland for fun which is 4 hours away a number of times a year. I would suggest they try that. And that day make sure you bathe this particular dog in a shampoo that the daughter is okay with...and keep this dog away from your others so there is not dander or saliva from another dog on the one being considered. Again not scientific, but may help to isolate the issue.
I have asthma, exzema, hayfever, allergies - you name it!! My reactions can include asthma attack, sneezing, runny eyes etc. I would strongly advise them to come and see you and your dogs. If they don't want to drive four hours (which really isn't that far for such an important decision) I would honestly recommend they find a breeder closer to where they live. You don't want them to have one of your puppies without having done enough research, and for you to find out a year later that they gave the dog up to a shelter.
Stella, have you had an attack since your doodle? I hear what you are saying and that would be unacceptable. I hope anyone with that situation would try to give the dog back to the breeder before doing that. I know I would have a lot of respect for that. It would certainly have a better chance of getting into the right hands.
Not really. I do have wheezy days, but I have many allergies and it isn't always easy to tell what caused it. But, my allergies settled down a lot as I got older. When I was a child I couldn't even go into a house that had a dog (any kind of dog - allergy friendly or not) without having an asthma attack (I was on a home nebuliser until I was about 10 years old). We took a risk getting a dog and got lucky. I wouldn't advise anyone to do what we did!! But we had thought out the options for us, and I decided that no matter what happened we would not get rid of the dog, even if it meant I would be drugged up to the eyeballs to keep it!! But, obviously, it is a different story when a child is involved. As I got older I found that my allergies actually improved with exposure and started going to friends houses with dogs (I'm talking about late teens, early twenties) and working with horses, something I never would have dreamed of when I was a child. But, everyone reacts differently. Has the family talked to their doctor/ immunologist about treatment options for the daughter?
What Stella has said here is so important that it bears repeating in bold letters:
I would also talk to them about contingency plans. What will they do if the daughter does develop symptoms, will they get rid of the dog???
This applies not just to allergies, but to so many other things that people should consider before getting any dog, but especially a doodle, because there are so many variables and unpredictable issues, unlike purebreds. What will they do if the dog ends up bigger than expected? We have heard of this so often, even to the point of people giving up a doodle because they didn't realize how big that puppy was going to get. We know there are no guarantees, on size, coat type, shedding, etc. Being involved with doodle rescue, it is shocking how many people give these wonderful dogs up because they just didn't think to have a "contingency plan", as Stella puts it.
This is really the essence of the issue.
That's why I was thinking that a 4 hour drive is absolutely worth it. It's not that far. I drove 6 hours to pick up my pup...they can make it a mini vacation and stay overnight somewhere the night before, visit the town, etc.
I definitely agree with Adina's advice. We drove 5 hours to get Ned and 5 hours home - Road trip! It would also be a test of THEIR commitment to try to make it work. However, I agree that the seriousness of an asthma attack may just put the whole idea in the category of wishful thinking/not a reality. Also, they must have a contingency plan that satisfies you as the breeder before I would let them take a pup.
All I can say is that the doctors around here (the vet too) say there is no such thing as a truly hypo-allergenic dog. People react to different proteins in the saliva/dander/fur and that you could be experiencing reactions to one dog but be fine with her sibling. I think the common feeling though is that non-shedding dogs are less likely to cause reactions in people prone to them.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service