DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have been involved in the breeding and adopting of Australian Labradoodles for almost two years now. I have been so confident to offer these guys to people with dog allergies with great results, no one has had to come back. I have a woman who has a daughter that was allergy tested, she is allergic to both the coat and saliva. Does anyone know how someone like this reacts to these dogs? Any experiences or stories to share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once you introduce a shedding breed into the mix, let alone more than one shedding breed, you have the genetic possibility of producing puppies that shed. That's how genetics work. Two brown eyed people can and do have blue eyed children.
If you are not even sure what breeds are involved in the Australian Labradoodle, (and the words "leads me to believe Schnauzer is one of the breeds involved" indicates that you're not), than you can't guarantee anything. If the genetics for shedding are there, what difference does it make if "the lines are pure"? If doodle owners were so concerned with the lines, they'd be buying purebreds from champion breeders.
For the sake of the families who are risking heartbreak, as well as the dogs who may end up being rehomed, (and until you have lived with a dog who has lost his home, or heard the screams of a child whose dog is being taken away, you don't know what heartbreak it is), I think every doodle breeder has a moral obligation to educate themselves as thoroughly as possible, and to present facts only, not hearsay or beliefs. This is not directed at you personally, Kim, but at everyone who chooses to make a living by selling living, feeling animals.
Hi Karen, I've never heard of schnauzers being infused into golden or labradoodles. I could be a good idea but the level of research it takes to get a good schnauzer now, oy!, I don't even want to begin. Also, not all schnauzers are non shedding. Only ones from a certain line wi a certain coat. Regretably the person who developed this fabulous non shedding non allergenic coat in the schnauzer did some other terrible things to the breeding lines. It took me 2 years of research to get the right schnauzer & that's not just orthopedic & genetic. It includes research wi giant schnauzer owner questionares which is not fun let me tell you. It includes, epilepsy, cancer etc. Furthermore, most Giant Schnauzer people are not doing the orthopedic & genetic testing. Oh its too frustrating to even think about! Anyway, that's what it took to get my breeding lines in my Giant Schnoodles. Over 6 years & 150 puppies, I have never had a health problem bcs I did the ground work. But I don't know that I would do it again or if anyone else would do it before infusing into their line, so it could create more problems than it solves. As originator of the Giant Schnoodle breed, that's my opinion based on a huge amount of research & genetic care in breeding. PUppy love from Joy & furry folk
I don't think that a schnauzer is one of the breeds used in the ASD labradoodle. I thought they were poodle, labrador, american spaniel, english cocker spaniel irish water spaniel and the soft coated wheaten terrie. It's on the rutland manor website I think
Thanks, Clare! So...if that is correct, you have three shedding breeds, and three non-shedding, hypoallergenic breeds. 50-50 crap shoot. And not one true "working" dog in the mix.
I thought I had heard that Airedales were used at one point. There is so much confusion about this, I don't think anyone really knows what the heck went into the Australian Labradoodles. Maybe different breeders used different mixtures. That may be why there is such a huge variation from one to another.
I think the bottom line is, you really don't know what you're getting.
And since I don't have to worry about allergies, and didn't even need another dog, my choice of labardoodle was just perfect. Any dog I get is a forever dog and I truly think most people are just like me. So.......breeders need NOT sell their breed, the dogs will sell themselves. Breeders DO need to screen their buyers and be honest about the fact that a dog is a responsibility with needs and feelings, and should be chosen for its entire life.
HI Karen & all, That is exactly right. I don't want to get into controversy so I won't elaborate. Just to say I did extensive research in 2001, when I considered purchasing a labradoodle & you are exactly right.
BTW, I am not breeding Giant Schnoodles right now but when I do, I give a money back guarantee on allergies. I've never gotten one back. But I am breeding non shedder to non shedder. There are no throwbacks bcs there are no shedders or high dander in the lineage on either side. Puppy love from Joy & furry folk
Attachments:
Joy,

We too guarantee on allergies and have yet to have to honor it. Your dogs are beautiful, can I ask how you get a giant schnoodle? Anyway it is funny I am waiting to hear back from the woman that stimulated this conversation. I sent her some saliva swabs to test on her daughter which was a recommendation from this conversation. It will be interesting and I will let everyone know the outcome. After learning all this I am going to take a wild guess and say she will have a reaction. Who knows??
Thanks for the compliments re my dogs. You can read about Giant Schnoodles at my web site www.GiantSchnoodles.com
They also say goldens were used in the breeding of labradoodles.
Wow see! Who knows?????
I don't think so. there was too much of a backlash in trying to keep golden doodles out. I was there for the politcs :-(( Puppy love from Joy & furry folk
The web site where you register your Al says Angela admitted to using Goldens

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service