DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So this past weekend we decided to board Rory for the night as we went out of town and while he was there we got him groomed. I decided I would get him shorter this time as I wanted to get my money's worth as well as hoping it'd make him feel better not having soooo much fur. On top of that, his fur was kind of a mess as his puppy coat and adult coat were coming together. At any rate, when I picked him up he was MUCH shorter than I ever expected. . I was shocked! His body is practically shaved minus his head and tail which are still the same.  We never had a problem with him scratching himself and being itchy but ever since being groomed he is sooo itchy. Anyone else have this problem? If so, any suggestions. I tried putting like A&D ointment on him as I read online it was helpful but he freaked out and wanted to part of it. I have decided I am never allowing the shears near him again.... only scissors! I miss his long beautiful coat! 

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suggest you wash and rinse him asap with a good shampoo, if you check the grooming group you can find which is best for allergic reactions. It's either that the soap was not rinsed, or he has razor burn where he was shaved too close. You might give him an antihistamine Clarytin or Zirtec, do a search to see the correct dose here on DK I do hope he gets relief very soon. If he doesn't I would call your vet.

Thank you for your input! I will look further into this. I really think it is "razor burn" as it's mostly on his rear end which is were he is SUPER short. I havent noticed it as much on his back head etc. so that leads me to believe that it isnt the soap but I will check into it! Thank you :)))

I always ask the groomer to scissor cut the area under his tail. Finley has a very sensitive "bum" and dealing with razor burn was no fun! It took a few groomers to find one to do this without it being an issue. BTW we usually have Finley cut very short on the body from May through September/October. His fur grows out so quickly that I don't worry about him looking so short during the hot summer months here in Charlotte. I also noticed that several other doodles in our training class received their short summer cuts. I was feeling sad that Finley didn't look as cute with short hair but everyone else now looks the same.

I remember that you asked about allergy as well. My Willow started showing a full blown Atopic Dermatitis around 1.5 years, and we thought it was related to razor burn from grooming. It took us several months grooming at home only by hand and a couple rounds of steroid pills and anti-fungal medication to clear up yeast in ears and paws before we realized that Willow's allergy needed more serious treatment. By then, she lost a lot of hair because of itching and scratching, a couple of hotspots under her arm. So if you think this sounds like Charley, I recommend that you see a dermatologist who does skin allergy test. Good news is, Willow's back to almost normal. I just wished I started immunotherapy and limited ingredient diet earlier.  

I second this excellent advice. One of JD's seasonal flares once was kicked off by a visit to the groomer, and it took days for me to realize that it wasn't anything the groomer had done, other than getting him wet. :(

Thank you for the insight. I have taken Rory to this groomer before and she did awesome. Although I just asked for him to be trimmed up. This time I did request shorter. She suggested the "summer cut" which she said she typically does on these types of dogs. I am sure he feels better in regards to being cooler but I still wish he was his cute poofy self! haha It's just not the same without his long hair. It seems as though his hind end is the most itchy and it is super short so I am hoping with time it will heal.

Thank you!! :) 

I am sorry Rory is suffering from razor burns! I felt betrayed when our usual groomer returned Willow with razor burns under her armpits and belly, which caused serious itchiness, scabs, and weeks of scratching.  I would also bring in a shampoo that you know is okay with Rory for grooming.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service