DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

JD had his MRI today. It went well, he was very confused and nervous, but they let me stay with him until they were ready to give him the general anesthetic, and he was first in line. He got fluids and antacids intravenously and he has been doing fine. We were there about 6 and a half hours. This evening, he ate a little dinner and kept it down, and even took a short walk. I think he'll be back to normal tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

He has a ruptured disc in the lumbosacral area of his spine. The diagnosis is "right lateralized L7-S1 nerve root compression (Type II IVD)".

I saw the images of the disc pressing on the nerve on one side, which would have been very interesting if it hadn't actually been pictures of my dog's spine.  

The surgeon said that surgery would fix it, but suggested that we try conservative treatment first, specifically acupuncture, chiropractic, and possibly laser therapy, whatever the latter might be. He also said that if this were you or me, surgery wouldn't even be mentioned at this point, which made me feel better. I got a referral to a holistic practice which JD's IMS had also recommended to me in the past. The place looks like a New Age spa: http://www.kindspiritshealing.com/

This is uncharted territory for me, but if it can help JD without more drugs that might exacerbate his IBD and spare him from having to undergo spine surgery, I'm sure going to give it a try.

The surgeon also did a needle aspiration of a lump on JD's side. He has several lipomas which have been aspirated by his regular vet in the past, but this one seems firmer than the others. The surgeon will call me with the results next week, I'm hoping it's the same thing as all the others, just a harmless fatty tumor.

JD and I want to thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers over the past few days; I was a nervous wreck worrying about today, and I am just so thankful that this part is over and I have him home here resting comfortably. Think I'll go join him.

Stay tuned for the adventures of Karen and JD in the world of holistic, alternative healing, coming soon!

Views: 1223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm late reading this!!  Glad to hear that JD made it through the MRI ok, and that it didn't seem to upset his bowels too much.  I think I mentioned I am a 'people' physiotherapist and I often use acupuncture for people with disc problems and referred pain (such as sciatica).  It often has really good results, even with people who are totally sceptical about the whole thing!  I also refer them for an aquatic rehab programme - exercising in water is often a lot less painful than on 'dry land' and can work to strengthen the core stabilisers which help to protect the spine - just as important in dogs as in people.

As a people physio, I am cautious about chiropractors, particularly where spinal discs are concerned.  I have seen a couple of clients who had a disc problem, who had a manipulation that didn't go right and had disastrous results.  One gentleman had his problem in his neck and as a result of the manipulation ended up paralysed.  I saw him very early on in my physio training and it has stayed with me throughout my career.  Don't get me wrong, chiropractors have their place and I have referred my clients to a chiropractor when I felt it necessary, I am just cautious and careful about who I recmommend!!

But, I am a fan of whatever makes someone feel better!!  I would just be cautious with manipulation, and be sure that you have researched the practitioner and really trust them (which I know you will do, because you always do!!)

Hope that the biopsy results come back soon and that you get good news about that too.  Love and hugs to you and JD.

Thanks, Stella! I had some clients who also had disastrous experiences with chiropractors and feel the same way. But apparently, dog chiropractic is different. JD had a "treatment" this past week; I haven't posted about it because the whole thing confuses me, but the chiropractic part was very small, little more than touching him. So far, I haven't seen any difference.

I managed to see your post re the MRI while I was away but am just catching up here now.  I am a total sceptic (when it comes to alternative therapies) with ongoing serious back problems myself.  I've tried them all over the years and the only one I am happy to go to now if all else fails is acupuncture.  I have no idea how it works because it certainly makes no sense but it does help when I have an acute episode.  I do think it worth trying out as the surgery alternative is definitely a last resort.

Ps Did I see the biopsy result was clear or did I dream that?

LOL, you were not dreaming; the lump is another fatty tumor, a harmless lipoma. I'm glad to hear that the acupuncture has been helpful for you.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service