DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ollie was really restless in the night - my husband took him around 3 but even after we heard him off and on in his crate panting and sounding uncomfortable. When I took him out around 7 this morning - he had liquid diarrhea. He seems to feel fine now - running around playing etc. I added pumpkin to his food this morning (finally found something that slows him down eating wise - he wasnt crazy about it and kept trying to eat my other dog's plain food). We just got back from a weekend at the lake and I am worried that something in the lake water is not agreeing with him. On the other hand - could just be a combo on 2 hour car rides each way plus the boat rides etc. I did a search on diarrhea and read lots of good suggestions. My question is if/when to take him to the vet? do I wait a day and see how he does with home remedies or because he is a non fully vaccinated puppy - do I take him now? Thanks

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am certainly no expert but from experience when we take Samantha out of her routine AND after a swim at the beach, she gets the runs. I add plain yogurt and pumpkin to her meals to hekp it. I also use a powder called 'Rx Clay', which was suggested to me by an animal nutritionist when Samantha's poop was filled with mucous constantly, that is given to dogs that are on chemo to help with the runs. Her poops are now great and she was weaned off of it. After the beach I give her a little to help get her back to normal.

I would wait and see how the day goes. As long as he is eating and drinking water, I would play the wait and see game. If he starts to get lethargic or is not eating and drinking, I would get him to the vet asap. Try the some yogurt.
Hope Ollie's poops are back to normal soon,

Adrianne
He could have Giardia from the water. Giardia is a parasite that attaches itself to the intestinal wall, and keeps multiplying which forms a wall around itself and is passed through your dogs poop. Most infections with Giardia are asymptomatic. Usually younger animals are affected, and the usual sign is diarrhea. Diarrhea may be acute, intermittent, or chronic. Usually the puppy will not lose their appetite, but they may lose weight. The feces are often abnormal, being pale, having a bad odor, and appear greasy. In the intestine, Giardia prevents proper absorption of nutrients, damages the delicate intestinal lining, and interferes with digestion.
Vets can diagnosis Giardia and treat it, if it is something else, like parvo, you want to get him there right away. It's worth having him checked out, just for your own peace of mind.
I would take him to the Vets today. He is just a baby and could have picked something up that needs to be treated right away. You would hate to have something happen if you wait any longer.
My first thoughts go to Coccidia, Giardia and Lepto.

Has your puppy been vaccinated against Lepto?
I would do a stool sample and see if he has Coccidia and or Giardia; both are easy to treat and diarrhea calms after a day on the meds.
We have a vet appt at 4. He had diarrhea all over the guest room and according to our babysitter (I am at work) has been lethargic all day. Now I am worried :(
Oh no! Keep us posted. I would be worried too...
dr basically said it was the traveling and change of routine that often brings on diarrhea - said he could feel Ollie's stomach moving around - gave us an antibiotic-stomach soother and said it should help within 24 hours - also said to feed him smaller meals more frequently until he is better. He is still having liquid diarrhea but is more animated!
I am so happy to hear that!! There is nothing harder than watching our kids, whether human or furry, be sick. Please keep us posted,
great news!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service