DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi All,
I just thought I would share a "recipe" that I use a lot of during the summer especially when my dogs are in and out of the water. It is an ear wash and I have found it keeps the ears clean and dry and reduces ear infections that mine have been prone to when they swim a lot. It is economical and smells good too!

I use equal parts of Wintergreen rubbing alcohol, peroxide, and witch hazel. Then I add just one or two drops of Tea Tree oil. This oil is very concentrated so don't be tempted to add more or you have to start again! (Learn from my mistakes!)

I usually put it in a little bottle with a squirt tip on it and then I use makeup pads to squirt it on and wipe out my dog's ears. The little squirt bottle and the makeup pads are available at the Dollar Store.

Happy ear cleaning!

***If you suspect your dog already has an ear infection, seek advice from your vet.

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the hydrogen peroxide safe to put in the ear canal? Sounds scary to me - it stings doesnt it?

The otomax drops are the equivalent (as the vet explained it) to Flonase for a humans nose. It is a steroid that creates a protective layer over the membranes so the allergens/ irritants dont affect the tissue any longer.
I put it on the makeup pad and clean the inside of the ear out. This ear wash isn't for a dog who already has infected ears. It is just to keep the ear canal clean and dry if you have a swimmer this summer! Peroxide is safe for the ear canal, however.
Peroxide is safe and it does not sting, rubbing alcohol will sting ...I am more concerned about the Tea Tree Oil...if that is asorbed by using the alcohol, or will it linger in the ear and could cause an infection that might be starting and not aware of.
Thanks for posting this! Molly's ears are little wax factories, and I have to clean them every other day.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service