DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello all,
We just got Rosie a few days ago. She is an 8 week old Goldendoodle. It has been an experience. My wife and I haven't had dogs since we were young children. There seems to be a learning curve, so we may be around here often.
But here are a few questions:
1) what kind of play can you do with such a young puppy to get them excercise?
2) any good training resources you would suggest we check out?
3) and of course, the will my doodle look like a doodle question. To me she looks like a golden retriever puppy. Our breeder says she has the starting of great doodle brows and beard. But I really don't see it. How do you think her coat will turn out? I have so photos on my profile.

Views: 528

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where did you get her at?? So cute! She looks just like mine(: and mine is a Utah puppy too.
I got her from a breeder in the eagle mountain area.

1)   You can engage her with toys, teach fetch, do training like sit.  Just let her roam and run.  I wouldn't engage in any rough play like tug or anything like that.  You can hide (go to another room) and call her and teach her to come.  Although, you are probably going to be pretty busy just teaching her to go outside.

2)  The best training resource I can recommend is Doggy Dan, The On Line Dog Trainer.  He was recommended her on DK and I joined for several months.  You can cancel at any time.  He has a complete video series on raising a puppy.

3)  I think you have good beginnings for a shaggy doodle.  She is adorable.

Best of luck.  Join some groups like the Puppy Madness Group here on DK.

Thanks for the advice. Would beard and brow usually come with a shaggy doodle? Or not necessarily?

I don't see the beginnings of what is called facial furnishings in your picture which would be a chrysanthemum fanning out at the top of the snout between the eyes, but it could just be the picture, and she is very young.  Here is a puppy and an adult picture of a dog we fostered this year.  She did not have any shagginess as a young puppy but she sure developed it when she grew up.

Thanks for your insight, we were hoping for shaggy, and bearded. But we will be happy if she is happy and healthy, I was looking at photos of our visits while we were waiting for her to be old enough to come home. She seemed to have a lot more going on the nose and forehead at week 5 and 6. I guess she grew out of that.

I second exactly what Lucy and AnnaBelle's Mom said.  She is adorable!

Welcome to DoodleKisses - the best website around for doodle lovers everywhere.  You can get all kinds of information here.  You might like to join a couple of groups that will be better at answering specific questions.

Regarding play, you just need to remember to keep her in your yard and her feet cannot touch the ground where other dogs have been.  I have a chest pack that I use when we go anywhere out of the house.  My pup (11 weeks) is now 18 pounds so that is a challenge.  I have taken her to the beach and out for walks with our other dogs, but until she has had all her shots, my vet recommends that her feet do not touch the ground.  We play in the back yard and she loves toys but will chew on anything (normal for puppies).  Her favorite toy is the sprinkler system, so we have had to turn off the water and do a little hand watering until she gets over the chewing stage, which is usually 5 or 6 months.

Rosie is darling and looks like the normal light goldendoodle to me.  Goldendoodles have wonderful coats and the F1bs have the best coats of all.  Her breeder probably is the best source of information about how she will look because she has experience with her sires and siblings.  Enjoy.

Lots of good books out there and also many good classes.  I would suggest a puppy class after she has had all her shots. 

Hi! Congrats on your beautiful new puppy. I am still waiting to pick up my puppy on Aug 20th, so I don't have a lot of answers, but I wanted to share some of the training resources I have been reading/listening to while we wait.  (Also, I have been amazed at how many of these dogs look retriever-like as puppies and then nothing completely like a goldendoodle as they mature.  So I wouldn't worry at all about that!)

I have really liked listening to the free Doggy Dan podcasts and will probably subscribe to his website for at least a little while.  His videos would help helpful to cement things we read and listen to.

This is the best condensed version of training tips I have found.  

http://thectc.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Puppy-Trainin...

Definitely join the Puppy Madness group if you haven't already. There is an excellent pinned post at the top (need to be on a desktop/laptop to see it) that offers new puppy tips.  Through that, I found these helpful and extensive training pamphlets from Ian Dunbar.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy...

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Pupp...

I'm reading the book, "Training the Best Dog Ever: A 5-Week Program Using the Power of Positive Reinforcement" by Dawn Sylvia-Stasiewicz and Larry Kay.  I like this one because it takes dog training we can do at home and breaks it down specifically by tasks and week.  The window right now before they are vaccinated and can't do puppy classes or a lot of public socialization with other dogs is critical for learning.

Hopefully that helps without being overwhelming! 

oh my god she looks exactly like our buddy, does she shed ? mine sheds a ton and is almost like yours, hes also 8 weeks but at 13lbs

Attachments:

Rosie, is now officially 9 weeks and she also about 13 lbs. 

She is a goldendoodle and the breeder was about 30 miles from here in Eagle Mountain, Ut.

Her and buddy do look alot alike. Thanks for sharing!

When we visited her as a puppy she really didn't shed, but the last time we visited and now she does shed a bit. Not sure if she is a sheder, or if she is just kicking off some puppy fur. We will see what the future holds.  

Welcome, Rosie's family!
1- They are natural followers when they're so young, so I'd capitalize on that as we did in our backyard with Ollie. When she follows, label it "come!" and treat for it. She will learn so quickly for a good recall. Puppy play dates with vaccinated, healthy, friendly dogs are the best for exercise and best for socialization, important before 16 weeks (ask your vet first). Also, lots of safe chew toys!!
2- Doggy Dan and his five golden rules will set you up nicely. They're easy to follow and make a big difference IMHO. Check out theonlinedogtrainer.com - he is well respected on this site. Also, anything by Sophia Yin or Ian Dunbar.
3-no idea but I will look forward to seeing your pics as she grows!
Good luck!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service