DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Good Morning!

Eight week old Bodhi came home last night, and we had a long cuddle (I watched TV and he shook and panted and clung - very afraid).  He slept well through the night with a snuggle puppy who smells like his pack, but he is still afraid of everything.

I can't get him to eat, other then very small amount of kibble and a tiny amount of treat, or drink, or potty.  Right now he is hiding deep under my bed.  No amount of doggy prep book prepared me for this - I don't know what to do to help him adjust.  Ideas?

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was he raised in a home environment or kennel? Sounds like house stuff is scary to him.  Is his crate covered with a blanket to make it feel more secluded?  I would let him  hang out in there with the door open if he wants and just offer your company (sit outside waiting for him) but not force it.  Other than that just keep offering him food at mealtimes and free access to water, potty breaks you may have to carry him out.  Poor little guy!

thanks.  I have tried carrying him out but nothing happens - he just looks terrified ;(  his kennel is covered and he does like it in there.  I've managed to get him to settle calmly on top of me and nap so helpful this will help.

I agree that it doesn't sound like he was very well socialized to a home environment, or exposed to much. Does your breeder use any specific type of puppy socialization program? Do Volhardt evaluations? Bath, brush, cut nails, and handle on a regular basis, etc? A lot of breeders claim that the puppies are "raised underfoot", but those who really are are usually fearless, people oriented, and very outgoing. 

Do you have a busy household? Young children? Lots of activity/noise?
I agree with J. Give him a quiet place with access to his crate and make sure that he is not overwhelmed by people grabbing him, picking him up suddely, crowding around him, running or lots of fast sudden movements right by him, using loud excited voices, etc. Offer him food and water but don't force it, and let him seek out human affection rather than pushing it on him. 
I am hoping that you will be bringing him to your vet tommorow or Tuesday. It's crucial that every single new puppy see the vet within three days of coming home, or as soon as humanly possible. 

I see the vet tomorrow afternoon, and it is just me in the house right now so very peaceful.  I do have a cat whose smells would be around and who is very curious, but I hav been keeping her away and right now she is outside so not even heard,

I agree though that it seems he was not as well socialized as promised (they claim to follow the Avidog program).  We do hear some vehicle and bird traffic from outside.  

Thanks for the tips.  I will let him guide what he wants and not worry too much about the potty or eating just yet.

Yeah we saw a huge difference in Riley vs. Luna in terms of the socialization.

Luna was raised in a kennel (it was basically a heated barn) and only taken into the breeder's home for a few days before she came home with us.  She was scared of pretty much everything in the house.  Not quite as bad as Bodhi sounds but she was scared of things like the TV and vacuum for a long while, still scared of the vacuum as an adult.

Riley on the other hand was raised in the breeder's home and has never been scared of things like vacuums, TVs and other household noises.  She actually likes the vacuum a little TOO much and tries to chase it so I secretly wonder if the breeder let the pups chase hers around lol.

Part of it is personality since Riley is a very outgoing dog and more dominant but I think it has a lot to do with those crucial early weeks being raised in someone's house.

Part of why I chose Jasper's breeder was that I saw video of the puppies in the house while someone vacuumed, as well as chasing the shovel in the yard while someone shoveled snow, being bathed, being played with, being started on housebreaking, being taught to sit for a treat, etc as well as their mother lying  and sleeping in bed with the breeder, all besides the fact that I visited for two days when they were only 6 weeks old and saw everything first hand. 
Jasper came home pretty much fearless and almost too friendly. He loves every living thing on earth. He also runs after the vacuum cleaner and tries to play with the mop. I have no doubt that he would have asked a burglar to pick him up, lol. There was a minor car accident on the street right outside my yard when he was only 14 weeks old, and he was trying to get the paramedics and policemen who kept walking past our fence to pay attention to him. He was a little afraid of fire hydrants when we started taking leash walks, but that was only because he never saw one and didn;t know what it was. Breeder lived in the country as so many do. Once he met a hydrant, he was fine, and of course now he visits them regularly, LOL
JD was afraid of everything. He was born in a puppy mill and adopted from a shelter at 14 months. This time around, buying as opposed to adopting, I wanted well-bred, healthy, well-adjusted, socialized, and some training started. You want to feel like the breeder did some work for her money besides cleaning up after them. 

What things did you find helped Luna overcome her fears in those early weeks?  Bodhi's only eight weeks so surely we still have loads of time to socialize what he might have missed out on.   I am prepared to devote whatever time and energy is needed as I know how valuable these early lessons can be.

don't want to coddle the fear but I want to nurture - its tough to know where the line is!!  Im trying lots of cuddles.  

I did put the drawers back in under the bed so there is no more "under the bed" to hide in - there is still his kennel mind you!!  So he has one safe spot but not a whole region where he can retreat into a far untouchable corner.  

Basically positive reinforcement training.

For example with the vacuum you would reward puppy(treats or kibble) for being ok being near it inprogressively scarier situations:

-vacuum off and stationary, far away

- on and stationary far away

- on and closer

- moving and on (start far then move closer)

As soon as pup seems scared you back off.

We did it with stuff like opening umbrellas and other random household objects too.  She never quite got over the vacuum or inflated lawn decor though :p

And cuddles are fine, but don't verbally comfort him with phrases like "it's okay" or "don't be afraid." Your voice just naturally goes into a tone that reinforces the fear by making the dog think there is indeed something to fear. Instead, use a very upbeat, cheerful, even silly tone of voice. Laugh, make jokes, and say "good boy" when he directs his attention to you rather than object he's afraid of, or acts less afraid or more confident.  

Sabrina, what kind of feeding dish or bowl are you using? I found that Jasper needed something with very low sides initially. The breeders usually feed them all at the same time from a large low saucer type feeder. Here's a picture: https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Puppy-Saucer-Dish-15%22_p_7411.htm...

I had to feed him by hand at first, and ended up buying a cat dish for Jasper. Of course, he's now full grown and has a normal bowl, but the cat dish comes in handy for special treats like blueberries and yogurt. 
You may want to try feeding him by hand for now, it's a good way to bond with him too. 

Thank you, I will try saucers for both food and water.  He will drink from my finger tips or palm so at least I am getting SOME fluid into him.  And he did pee - on the carpet but whatever - that is what enzyme spray and paper towels are for ;)

Try getting a couple of inexpensive stainless steel cat dishes, or at least one for the water. They won't tip or move around as easily and will contain the water better. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service