DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

In the "Waiting for New Puppies Group" we have discussing socialization techniques and how to do it since we have to be so careful about Parvo. I am wondering if the veterans here have any advice for us with ways to socialize safely. I personally do not know a lot of people in Texas since moving here only a few years ago. Some of the ideas I have come up with are to take her for drives and through car washes and fast food, stand on a street corner and let her experience cars and noise, take her to my office to meet and greet, maybe go to the mall and walk around and maybe a store that allows pets like a book store or clothing store, and let her meet some kids somehow-don't know any. Are there other ideas you all can help us out with so we can create well balanced doodles?

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMD... is that ever cute!
I have never seen a cuter idea ever.. Jack would never have sat still like that ever, I can't stop looking at it, it is so adorable.
That has got to be the cutest, funniest thing I've ever seen. I can just imagine people looking at your "baby", not knowing quite what to say.

Hi Sandy! I was glad to see your post because we've been doing obedience classes with Bernie (11 months old) and there's been a lot added to the list of "Advice we'd give new puppy parents" since taking this new step.

I know you didn't ask about obedience, but I promise it's linked to socialization! One thing we're really struggling with is Bernie's obsession with being everyone's best friend. He's a sweetheart and everyone wants to love on him, but we've been dealing with jumping, tugging on the leash, him thinking every person and dog that walks by needs an introduction because when he was little, we let this happen. As he got bigger it got less cute, and more of a hassle, especially in crowded places!

So, as a side note to this socialization question, I personally recommend doing it the "right way" from the get-go. Don't go down our road! The "right way" is obviously a matter of preference but most people would likely agree that requiring the dog to be in a sit to receive affection from a person, or a sit until it's been decided by both handlers that two dogs can approach each other, is a solid way of teaching your dog that being social is something that's earned with good behavior, not something their owed.

Sorry for veering slightly off topic - I'm so excited for you and your new puppy!

Not to self-promote, but I've been posting weekly recaps of our 10 week obedience course on my page, as blogs posts, and on the Training group with the title "Obedience training, the Koehler Method, Week ( )". We're on week 6. I don't try to teach people the method by any means! But my DH and I have had a lot of revelations, things we wish we would have done differently, things we're correcting now (Bern's 70 lbs) that would have been easier to prevent in the first place, etc. and I note all those things. Lots of head slapping moments! You're going to have so much fun, but there's a lot of good reminders in the Training group how those "little puppy behaviors" turn into big puppy problems!
The most important "concept" we've learned though, if I was to pick one, is "follow through". Whatever it is you tell (asking really shouldn't be an option) your puppy to do - she must do. It may take awhile as she's learning, but when she does it - celebration party! Lots of praise! But if you tell her to "sit" - make sure she does it. If you tell her to get off the couch, make sure she does it and stays off, etc. When they're little it's easier to say "oh well, she didn't sit but she stopped jumping up," but that's not okay, if you told her to sit, she needs to sit. They will respect you more for being consistent. You will become SO much simpler in their eyes!
Agreed!  As long as the dog has had sufficient practice to understand what you mean and lots of repetition performing the task...then you can hold the dog accountable for doing it as you tell it to do.  At first dogs don't generalize well.  So the first time adding in a distraction it will be like doggy says 'Surely you don't mean SIT when I see my friend over there!'  and you, by your enforcement of the command (rather than just repeating 'sit...sit..SIT!' will say 'Yup...even when you see your friend you wanna play with'...even when I'm about to throw a ball...even when a door opens....even when Auntie Sue rings the doorbell....

Further reinforcing what Amy said about the right way, I offer this up.  Through the 5 training classes we have finished or are in, the phrase "Nothing in life is free" has been repeatedly stated.  Once you have trained your puppy using postive reinforcement methods some of the basic obedience "sit", "down", "stay" you can start practicing "Nothing in life is free".  Before you give your dog anything (food, a treat, affection), ask your dog to perform one of the commands. 

Before I put Rua's leash on to take her outside, or to unhook when we come back in, she must give me a "sit".  I don't have to ask most of the time...I can just stand there for a second and her butt will hit the floor...I will tell her "Yes, good girl" and hook up or unhook her.

You can use basic commands and later, fun tricks (shake, speak, rollover), mixing them up.  Once you give the command, don't give your dog what they want until they have done what you want.  If they don't perform the command, walk away, come back a few minutes and start again.  Make sure, though, that you dog really knows whatever command or trick you are asking them to perform before you start practicing "nothing in life is free".

Even though Rua is a bit under 17lbs at 9-1/2 months, and certainly isn't going to jump up and knock anyone over, she must give me a "sit" before I'll let anyone pet her.  We are constantly approached (Doodles are just so darn cute and draw so much attention) and people will come up and ask to pet Rua.  I tell them, to wait, Rua needs to sit first...same thing if someone from Petco or Petsmart want to give her a cookies...Rua must sit first.

You are going to be a great Doodle mom!

You are so welcome.  I am so excited for you.  I can't even explain to you how much my Rua means to me...it is such an incredible thing.  In fact, I think I have to post a discussion about it.
Oh... this is so true!  I wish I had read this when Cocoa was a puppy.  When we walk by people on the sidewalk sometimes she tries to turn towards them to greet them.  Unfortunately, now that she's big this can seem threatening to some people.  It is taking a long time and much effort to help her "unlearn" this behavior.
These are all great ideas-better safe than sorry. I'm not sure about the carwash though! I did that with Chloe in the car not even thinking! She was SO freaked out, she umped on my lap and wrapped her arms around my neck! Her whole body was shaking! I felt terrible and we nevver did it again, Good luck!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service