DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

On Tuesday morning around 7:30 Goldie got into some nightshade. By noon she had expelled it all from her body through some massive vomiting and pooping. I withheld food for 24 hours but she kept drinking some water. Last night she ate and drank fine but still has not pooped since the incident. The vet said since she threw it up so quickly that the only concern they have is dehydration at this point. They said because she went 24 hrs without food it may take a while before she produces stool and they aren't worried about that just yet. She is her happy self and is full of energy and isn't acting any different than normal.

Has anyone had experience with this? Should I be overly worried at this point? Any advice? I read pedialyte and chicken broth are both good for dehydration. Thoughts on those?

I will be completely digging up the Nightshade tonight. I had no idea it was even back there and it is extremely toxic to dogs. I feel terrible:(

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry to hear this happened, and glad that Goldie will be okay.

Regarding chicken broth, almost every commerical broth sold in stores contains onions, and onions are toxic to dogs. Homemade broth is fine. But the reason for giving them broth is usually simply to get them to take liquids, when a dog isn't drinking water and is in danger of dehydration. if she's been drinking a good amount of water, you probably don't need it.

According to this article, Pedialyte can be given to dogs. The article contains dosing info: http://canigivemydog.com/pedialyte

However, again, if she's been drinking water, you probably don't need it. 

Check her gums. If they are pink and slippery, she's fine. If they are pale and/or feel sticky or tacky, it wouldn't hurt to get some fluids into her. 

It really doesn't sound like you need to worry at this point.  

Thank you. That is very helpful. I'm especially glad I checked on the chicken broth. I would have mistakenly given her the kind from the store.
After I googled Nightshade to learn more, I had myself in a panic reading all of the long term effects that could happen. Google sure is a double edged sword sometimes. Lol

Even organic broths contain onions, and it's something most pet owners never think about. I'm constantly seeing articles in dogcentric magazines and websites that recommend giving broth to dogs for dehydration, or to get them to drink, and I'm constantly emailing them, lol. So far, I haven't seen one commercial broth that doesn't have onions on the ingredient list.

I know that some people here have had good luck with adding a little apple juice to the dog's water to get them to drink. Also, frozen juice bars appeal to some dogs. Just make sure you don't use grape juice or grape juice bars! 

Yes, Googling can often scare you to death! 

I am so glad that Goldie is recovering. 

Glad to hear Goldie is fine.  I remember years back when the thing to do is give chicken & rice soup to dogs when they have stomach problems and we actually were just poisoning them!   I usually have REAL natural (hormone/antibiotic free) chicken broth around.  Picco loves to graze (and puke after).  I constantly have to keep an eye on him when we are out hiking because he'll start eating grasses/weeds and who knows what they really are!

"Natural, hormone-and-antibiotic-free" broths can still contain onions, and most of them do. As I mentioned, even the organic broths contain onions. Please check the labels. If you have really found one that doesn't contain onions, please give us the name of the brand, that would be a great resource. I have looked far and wide for one that I can recommend. 

I see I didn't mention that I make my own broth so it's pure chicken. And tasty!

LOL, gotcha! I do the same, but I put a peeled sweet potato or two in with the chicken. (I do that when I make "people" soup" too, lol.) It gives a little richer flavor and a bit more nutrients. :) 

I've got IBS/SIBO which forces you to learn about quality of foods (and unfortunately how bad some of it is). That prompted me to make just about everything from scratch with high quality, local foods when I can.  Funny how although it takes more time, I really enjoy cooking now and my husband always comments on how good our meals are!

Lucky guy! 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service