DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hey Everyone! My 9 month old Dooddle was having a lots of issues with being aggressive. I went to a doggie daycare for tempement interview and were rejected by the owner. Ever since that day I looked for a trainer and finally found one. I left her there today. The trainer keeps her for a whole month to teach her to be a better dog, I am kind of worried. Is my dog going to be ok?
Thank you

Views: 325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is the program like? I've heard of these types of programs before where your dog will be integrated into an existing well trained "pack" of dogs and will learn not only from the trainer but also from the other dogs around her.

Soon, I have a neighbor who adopted a Doberman pinscher pup. She sent it off to a trainer for one month and then visited the pup for one day a week for training instructions. I have had a fear of dobermans ever since I was a newspaper delivery boy of nine years old and two of the dogs just about tore a door down to get to me. Anyway back to the story, my neighbors dog ended up to be the kindest and most gentile dog ever. My grand daughter who was six and is very petite met the dog and was at first overwhelmed by its size. She quickly learned that the dog was sweet and became very comfortable with the pup. When she returned home, she even did a show and tell about how looks can be deceiving. Lesson learned for the six year old.

While I am glad that I trained my puppy, Wynnie, and prefer the owner/pup training regime, I have seen the result of a professional trainer in a month long program and have seen a good result. I believe that your pup will be OK and I hope that the result is as good as my neighbors was.

I would say it depends on the program, the trainer and the methods he/she will be using.  Did you talk about exactly how this trainer would be correcting your Doodle....that is critical IMO.  I believe there are some good board and train programs, but there are also some that use methods I completely disagree with.  Also, it will be key that you spend time with this trainer so that you can continue to reinforce what your Doodle has learned when this is over....otherwise the negative behaviors would likely return.

I agree completely.

I third that agreement!  I think it's also critical to consider exactly what  is triggering the agression. For example, if it is because of fear/anxiety that is a whole different approach than if it is because the dog is being  protective of you. If the trainer uses a "one size fits all" approach it might not be the best.

My parents had 2 of their dogs go to a 2-3 week "bootcamp" type of training for general obediance as the dogs were quite headstrong. One of the dogs did beautifully and came back very sweet, confident and obedient. The other one, who suffered from anxiety in the first place, did not do well and came home very fearful.

I always felt like the owner should be trained to train the dog and build the bond with the dog...I am not sure to how professional trainer is going to teach them "how to be a better dog" .... Also how will the owner assist the dog once he/she return home to the owner..? I never looked in to "Go away" training, so there may be a wonderful program out there...But depend on the dog, could that be traumatic..? loose bond..? Not sure. My Charlie has fear/anxiety induced aggression, and in her case, this option would not work and possibly backfire.

Thank you everyone! I thought My Dooddle was always fearful but I never thought she was Aggressive until I saw it with my own eyes at the dog daycare. She showed her teeth toward to worker and all the dogs. It was awful! She has had issues with chasing and running away, chewing, digging, jumping up,etc. I broke my ring finger while walking her because she saw a squirrel. Then a couple days ago I took her potty in the front yard with the leash on and she stated to chasing the lady next door. I was dragged by her lease and hit my truck on the drive way and I hit it so hard my left shoulder and arm, and my chest got bruised real bad. Then I realized she needed help before someone else get hurts. The trainer told me that he will work on her home obedience while boarding and I had to agree to complete 3 more training lessons with my dog and our family. I am really hoping everything goes well with her at this point. Yes, I am very sorry about her and miss her.

Soon, Like Jane said, I think it depends on 3 factors: the trainer/type of training techniques, the dog, and your follow-up.  My friend has a very large rough and headstrong labradoodle.  He sent him to a Board and Train program and worked diligently with him when he came back.  In his case, it worked out well.  O didn't become obedient overnight but he has matured into a sweet, respectful dog and he gets along well with other dogs.   

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service