DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello my Chloe might possibly have Panosteitis, going to the vet tomorrow to know for sure. After researching and researching what causes this disease high protein,calcium,phosphorous could possibly be one of them. I am sure that if it is Pano that the vet will try and give me one of there recommended foods (which i do not want) but if he thinks strongly that food could be the cause i am willing to change to a lower protein formula. Right now she is on Acana Wild Prairie, any feedback is welcome about the levels i should look for in a food that is a little lower on the protein, calcium, phosphorous scale. Or if anyone has experienced pano and what food worked best for this disease.

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it started monday night after a day at the vet for the kennel cough. She was up all night whimpering and whining i thought she just wasnt feeling well from being sick. Then tuesday was the same laying around not really moving much (but she is eating and drinking normally) i went out for the day and left her with the husband and when i came back she tried getting out of her crate(bed) to see me but she couldnt get up so i picked her up and put her down and she is limping on one leg. So i was feeling around and she yelps when i touch a certain area ( on both front legs) kind of by that middle bone dont know what its called. She isnt whining today but shes only getting up to eat or drink and when she does she still limps.

You mean her humerus, the large long bone. Hmm. Most of the dogs who get panosteititis are older than you pup and male, large breed dogs from what I read. Of course that doesn't mean she doesn't have it. But it would be best to wait and see. And no one can predict if a given dog will have a certain side effect from a medication. Medication is often kind of a trial and error. So no matter how much you read or what we say it won't necessarily prevent a problem with a medication. Your vet is really far away. Couldn't you find one closer that is good. My vet is 1/2 hour away and I think that's kind of far. I do live in a pretty densely populated area though. And you can get meds on line too.

yes that bone. poor baby   After reading and looking what this could possibly be its about all i came up with, there is only 1-2 discussions on this site and i think one of them may have been around the same age Chloe is now, i guess its just less common. We will see tomorrow what is acually is, i just want to be prepared with the food and such as the vet will definitly talk about food if it is pano, and id like to have a plan because i am very easily persuade into things i dont know about lol thats why im asking the food experts before i go see the (not) food experts tomorrow haha

As for the vet, my family has been taking our animals for 17 years and its really a good decently priced vet, i do have a back up i can call incase of emergencies though.

PS: The good news is that it appears that most dogs outgrow this. :)

Yes!! i am acually hoping it is Pano because of that. Sad to say i know but at least it is something that she will eventually get over..  Do you think it is fine to ask the vet not to give certain pain meds, if pain meds are what he thinks she needs

There is one that start with an R rimadal or something that ive heard bad things about, id rather not give her anything really, but if itll help the pain im sure she would appreciate it!

One hears all sorts of things but that doesn't mean they are true. Try to wait and see what evolves. Check the source of information. Karen and I are very reliable though not perfect : )

Because my vet is an hour and a half away i wanted to find the right meds if he does give them to her that wont upset her tummy or harm her, and i just thought if i was prepared with knowing what is best i could ask up front instead coming back home and finding out they are harmful then going back for different ones. These are all if's lol i just like to be prepared:)

I certainly hope your vet would not give your dog medications thought to be harmful. All drugs have side effects though and it's not usually possible to predict how any individual will react to a certain drug. Many NSAIDS, one of the types of drugs recommended for the panoseititis have the potential to upset stomachs.

I have tried to look for the discussion i found this in, but the way someone talked about Rimadyl it sounded horrible! i cant seem to find it now thought i must be loosing my mind:)

said something about causing kidney failure and so on, so it got me a little bit freaked out, an upset tummy is okay if it relieves the pain in her foot of course!

I've used it, as needed, with all my dogs.  I would never hesitate to use it for short-term pain!

Of course, I have not read the article you have read.

i will just put that article out of my mind! haha

You may have read anecdotal information from people on chat forums, and I wouldn't use that kind of information to make decisions on health issues. I've seen some real horror stories out there on just about every medication there is, but most of it is not fact-based. You always have to weigh the risks against the benefits.  I have heard of Rimadyl causing GI bleeding and other stomach problems, but short term use should be fine. I've used it with many dogs many times for pain after various surgeries, and nobody ever had a problem.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service