DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello Ladies and Gents,

We have a full house.. 3 kids -- ages 6, 3.5y, and 18m.. with number four due in 2 months.  We also have two young Goldendoodles.  Veruca is 1yr, and Violet is 10 weeks.

I know it sounds simple, maybe even silly.. but I need games and ideas on how the kids can play with the dogs that DOES NOT encourage nipping hands, jumping up, wrestling, etc.   My problem is that kids and puppies play very similar.  They run, they chase, they lunge with their hands/paws, they tackle.   This undermines our training with our furry family members, and as a result, Veruca still jumps up when she's excited and wants to greet/play.

I realize the issue is not Veruca.  She is getting mixed messages between what the humans allow her (encourage her) to do.  I am drawing a blank for ideas on how to show the kids to play with our dogs, and enjoy them, without getting them insanely worked up and encouraging bad behaviors.   I want them to enjoy the dogs, but in a way that doesn't undermine their training - so we all enjoy their company. 

I am looking for recommendations of games, books that include "training through play", and family friendly games young kids can enjoy with the dogs.  Help?   (For example my trainer suggested playing fetch, but tying a rope to the fetch object so the dogs can't nip little hands.  The rope keeps the hands further from the dogs toy so it reduces the chance of the dog catching thier hand if they try for the toy.)

As of right now, the kids go to bed pretty early - between 7:30 and 8pm.  We're night owls, usually up for another 3-4 hours at least.  My husband and I make sure we have alone time with each dog after hours, working with them on training and reinforcing the behaviors we like to see... as well as enjoying the quiet time. ;)

Thanks!
Heather

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know it's been said - but I love this picture. This could be on a "Doodle Life" magazine. Too cute.
Fortunately, Joplin really, reallyyyy loves playing with my little ones. I told them to scream bloody murder whenever she nipped at them and boy oh boy... they scared me the first few times they did that and it obviously scared her too because its a very rare occurrence now! :)
My kids like to play "Monkey in the Middle" with Cocoa. They throw the ball back and forth to each other and Cocoa tries to get it.
Oh yeah, we also play soccer with a tennis ball. We kick it pretending Ruby is the goalie. If she catches it, she makes the save.....if not, we score!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service