DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I bought my F1B Goldendoodle two months ago.  Not only have we had digestive issues from day one but he looks like a Golden Retriever with very little poodle and he sheds like crazy!  Please, take me serious when I say, "like crazy".  My daughter's allergies are going crazy and we have to take him back to the breeder.  My concern is that we have already put $300.00 extra on top of the purchase price in two months on this precious dog to get his stomach issues resolved and I'm scared the breeder will not give him the proper food (Life's Abundance) and take his issues seriously.  What are the chances of finding someone to buy him that will take care of him and not mind his shedding? He's our little man and letting him so is breaking our heart,  My little girls have cried everyday along with myself.  He is such a good dog and the smartest I've ever seen.   I only paid $650.00 for the dog and she is offering me another from her next liter because of the trouble we've had with our doddle.  I just don't know what to do.  I lost my job last week so we ca';t afford to pay more than the $650.00 for another doddle.  I know I sound like a sad case and I'm sorry for that but I'm very desperate for some advice.

Views: 1582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am really glad you and your daughters are getting your money back. I would put it straight into a savings account in case there is an emergency vet bill. I would also consider getting insurance just in case something happens and you can't afford it. It is an investment, but in the long run it is a lot better than getting stuck with a huge vet bill you can't afford. Winston has cost me thousands ever since I adopted him for free. The up front purchase price is a drop in the bucket compared to the ongoing cost of keeping a dog healthy. If you don't have a lot of extra money kicking around I worry about what will happen to your doodle if she gets sick or injured. I wish having a dog wasn't so expensive, but it is. I'm sure you have an emergency plan in place, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Insurance has been a life saver for me.

Sherri - Thanks for the advice.  We plan on using some of the money to "get him fixed"...LOL  and the rest we will put back for him. I can already see he is going to be high maintenance..haha

Carrie, The other thing I was thinking is have you tried wiping your dog's paws, etc. down when he comes in from outside?  Is there a possibility your daughter has allergies to things outside and the dog is bringing it in from outside? Just a thought.

Laurie, thank you!  Yes, I wipe his feet because we live in a wooded area and mud is everywhere.  :)

Carrie -- Try wiping all of him down.  If it is outside allergies he has it on his fur as well.  I just keep a tub of generic baby wipes right at the back door.

If at all possible, I would have your daughter allergy tested.  You will find out what she is allergic to.  It could even be the plants in your yard that the doodle runs through.  You are correct, though in that your children must come before the dog.  After reading the other posts, my recommendation is to contact a rescue organization like the DRC 

http://doodlerescue.org/

and turn him over to them.  They will find a good home for him.  We had to do this with my mom's young dog when she became unable to care for him.  It was heart wrenching, but the rescue organizations have contacts and resources to reach more prospective owners as well as knowledge to weed out the applicants that aren't right for the dog.  As for the money you feel your childen should have back, you can give it back in payments you can afford - you will be teaching them a valuable life lesson about finances and about keeping your word.

Thank you nNncy!!  My dughter is scheduling for testing next week.

My husband and I were able to work an arrangement out with my mom.  Since my mom has a huge fenced in yard with a ton of shade, she is going to let Chance stay with her during the day and I'll bring him home at night.  My mom lives right down the road. I'm also meeting with a "doddle expert" (that's what she is called in my area) and get some advice on his dry skin and brittle coat. The vet has put him back on Metolazone for the giardia.  The breeder is sending me my money back and willing to let us keep him.  This will give us some cushion to do farther testing and get to the bottom of his issues.  The only reason the breeder did this is because she found out I had been reaching out to people and was willing to make this a legal matter if I needed too.  She knew she was in the wrong.  Any advice on something to help with his dry skin/coat?  Thank you all for your concern.  If Chance could read, I'd let him see how many people cared!  LOL

I don't have any new advice.  You have gotten a lot of good advice already.  I hope you find the best solution for you, your children and your puppy.  He is adorable just as he is.  I agree with Laurie that I would not take him back to the breeder.  The stomach problems may be the result of the conditions at the breeder's home and can be cured. He is so cute and you said he is very good and smart.  I would try to find him a good home if I could not keep him. As suggested, one of the rescue groups may be able to help in placing him in a good home.

Losing your job is a very difficult situation to be in and I wish you all the best.  I hope you find something else soon.

I wish there was a cure for shedding.  We have two cats who shed like crazy and our terrier mix also sheds something terrible.  Luckily, I don't have allergies or I would be in trouble.  My husband does have allergies but the animals do not seam to bother him only pollen.

Good luck with everything. 

My husband and I were able to work an arrangement out with my mom.  Since my mom has a huge fenced in yard with a ton of shade, she is going to let Chance stay with her during the day and I'll bring him home at night.  My mom lives right down the road. I'm also meeting with a "doddle expert" (that's what she is called in my area) and get some advice on his dry skin and brittle coat. The vet has put him back on Metolazone for the giardia.  The breeder is sending me my money back and willing to let us keep him.  This will give us some cushion to do farther testing and get to the bottom of his issues.  The only reason the breeder did this is because she found out I had been reaching out to people and was willing to make this a legal matter if I needed too.  She knew she was in the wrong.  Any advice on something to help with his dry skin/coat?  Thank you all for your concern.  If Chance could read, I'd let him see how many people cared!  LOL

Thank you Andrea.  Is there a certain brand of Salmon Oil you get?

Some dogs get very loose stools with fish oils, so if Chance already has this problem, you might want to try Evening Primrose Oil.  It is not expensive.  You get human grade and can order it from Puritan's Pride.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service