DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi - I am so glad I found this group - I've learned so much from you all! My question is about how much to expect regarding potty training in a 9 1/2 week old Goldendoodle. We brought Tessy home at 7 weeks and for the past 2ish weeks we have been diligently working on house breaking (or at least to the best of our abilities). I realized the first week we didn't use potty training in conjunction with crate training and as a result she had a lot more freedom and had many more accidents in the house. For the past week, we are on more of a schedule and always take her out after time in the crate time, playtime, 10-15 minutes after drinking (longer after eating) and give her a treat plus playtime outside if she goes right away. Although much less, she is still having accidents (pee only) in the house and has had 3 accidents in her crate. I cleaned this with enzyme solution and made sure there was no bedding in the crate or even stuffed animals as that is where she pees. She likes to sleep in her crate on the flat surface with no bedding anyways. Two of the 3 times in the crate were when we first left the house (1.5-2 hours only) and she was in the crate. One time was our fault and gave her too much water too late at night before bedtime. Now I cut off water and food 2.5-3 hours before bedtime. Naps are a combination of in the crate and out of the crate and really she is only in the crate during the day when we go out to run errands (no more than 2.5 hours at a time). 

I am also trying to incorporate the Poochie bell at the back door where she goes out - that works about 10% of the time. Usually she sits by the door or on the way to the door she stops to pee in the house. And sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it, she just has an accident in the house.

Are there other things that I can be doing? I am a mother of two (ages 9 and 12) and a part-time clinical psychologist with my own practice and feel like I am exhausted constantly watching to see if she has to go out - hardly having time to work or parent my own children. My kids are very involved in training but they are in school most of the day and they are not always consistent (working on this). My husband and I love our Tessy but find ourselves wishing for the freedom and life we had before Tessy. I know this too shall pass and maybe my expectations are too high, too much for too soon. Thanks everyone! 

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like you are doing what can be done-I am sure others will have some more practical advice- but even though 2 weeks seems like a very long time for you, it isn't!  Tessy is still a baby with a tiny bladder.  I bet it will click very soon.  She is adorable and you will soon move on to the next challenge (nipping is my guess LOL!) and in the end, when you have a well behaved and fully trained family member it will all just be distant memories! Good luck and hang in there! 

Welcome to puppyhood.  It is a very good reason little puppies are so cute and irresistible! LOL  I love the poochie bells, that being said at about 5 months old our second Doodle Beau was swinging from them.  He just loved to ring them whether he wanted to out and play or had to potty!  We went through several sets when he was young.  My doodles are 4 and 2.5 and both still use the bells.  Potty training just takes time and sometimes longer for some puppies than others.  Our first doodle trained quickly and was reliant at 4 months old, Beau was nearly 6 months old.  They say if you go without any accidents for 30 days they are potty trained.  Well Beau had gone 30 days and the week after he turned 6 mos old, he peed in the entry way.  I never scolded him and this day was no different, but it was the last time he had an accident in the house.  Whenever you take her out and she does her business, really have a party and treats.  They learn quickly that they are pleasing you.  A suggestion - when Tessy is out of crate and you are home, you might tether her leash to you that way she will be with you and not on her own to have an accident.  It is also a great bonding time.  Good luck. 

She is a cutie.

You are doing good.  Remember that this too shall pass.  You will look back on these puppy hood days with laughter.  Tessy is a puppy and her bladder is small.  So what goes in must come out within about 15-20 minutes or so.  Try putting her on a feeding and potty schedule.  Also, start watching for the signs such as sniffing, circling, barking or any behavior trying to get your attention.  If you catch her pottying in the house, scoop her up and immediately take her outside.   

I used the bell with Asta, too.  But he decided it was a toy and loved hearing it ring.  So in his toy box it went.  Instead, he has learned to let me know when he needs to go by putting his head in my lap, using his paw to touch my knee, and jumping in the bed to wake me up in the morning.  Yes we still have some accidents, but they are getting fewer.  And are always my fault for missing or dismissing the signs.  

Hang in there it will get better.

Unfortunately training takes months not weeks as many people originally think when they bring a puppy home. I second the suggestion to tether her leash to you so you can watch her more closely when you are home with her.

Hang in there. It will be so worth it.

She is very much a baby at 9 and a half weeks.  My breeder didn't even release her pups until they were 9 or ten weeks old.  Right now schedule is critical and freedom is not your friend.  She needs to be crated unless you are watching her.  When she comes out of the crate leash her and take her right outside and wait for her to go...then reward.  After that, she has earned A LITTLE free time, and then right back into the crate.  I personally think she is way to young to be teaching the bells.  Right now she must learn that she's supposed to only pee in her "place" in the yard.  Teaching her to let you know in advance comes later.

Yes too early for the bells. That comes later.

I know exactly how you feel. We went through the same thing. But, it really does get better. As far as the crate, you may want to check how much space puppy has. We only gave Ace enough space to stand up and turn around. We also tethered Ace to our sofa by the door. We took him out around the clock (exhausting). I work from home part of the morning, so I moved my work stuff near the door so that I could keep an eye on him. If it ever looked like he was about to go potty, I took him out. He had accidents in the area in the beginning. When I caught him in the act, I would yell, "NO" and take him right outside. Now, he reliably knocks on the door when he needs to go out. I cannot tell you the last time I used Nature's Miracle. I would definitely limit your puppy's freedom until he gets it. With consistency and patience, he will.

I too felt like a slave to our puppy and often felt getting a puppy was a huge mistake. I too have two kids (twin 13's) who are in school all day, husband at work, so I was bearing the brunt of it all. I swear, I even dropped some pounds because I didn't have time to sit and eat and real meal and I was constantly up and down in and out with our puppy. But now it is easier, not easy, but easier. :-)

I definitely think you have the right idea.  You have to keep expectations lower because she is sooo young.  My guy was 10.5 weeks old when he came home which I think made things go better.  We used the bells for training, but I never tried to train him to ring the bells, I just rang them each time I took him out, so he associated the sound of the bells as a cue that it was time to pee.  Eventually he started ringing them himself, but I did not rely on him signally me (I was signalling him) until he was well over 6 months old. 

It is totally exhausting and all consuming, but it does get better.  Do yourself a big favour and put him on a strict schedule.  Something like: 1 hour crate time (you do your work), out to potty and 10 minutes of play time, back to crate for an hour (you do your work) out to potty then 20 minutes of tether time (where you can do some household chores or fix lunch etc, out to potty, back to crate...you get the idea. What others have said about tether time I support 100%; it is a great training and bonding exercise.

Thank you everyone for your support! And I think the one thing I haven't been doing enough of is tethering her to me - thanks for the reminder - I have already started doing this and/or crate and it has made a big difference! I will hold off on the bells - it's already a lot just dealing with the nipping and potty training. I know this too shall pass - looking forward to experiencing this time as "distant memories" or maybe I'll forget about it all together LOL - just like I have with my kids' newborn days.......Looking forward to all the great memories Tessy will add to our family memories. 

This has been really helpful- Finnegan is the same age.  One other question- last night he peed in his crate (not a peep from him-I woke up and checked him at 3:30 and took him out).  Are you setting your alarm and getting your pup up every 2-3 hours during the night??  Thanks to everyone for their invaluable help!

If he is peeing in the crate, could be it is too big for him. Hopefully you can adjust it smaller. He should be able to go 11pm-6am.  I used to take the water away at about 7 pm, if I remember correctly.

It is a bit large for him- I will see what I can do.  I do take up water by 7:30 pm but will try a bit earlier.  I have decided that I need to be more structured and use crate consistently throughout the day for naps.  Thanks for your help:)!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service