DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi! I'm new on here. Just got our pup on Saturday.

I read it's normal but I hope this passes
I have what they call "puppy blues"
Feeling lots of anxiety and stomach hurts with regret about the dog
No idea why

I'm an animal lover
I have two small kids so maybe I'm worried about a new routine
No turning back now just really hoping this goes away soon

Views: 883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know this feeling and couldn't believe I was actually feeling this way after all the research and time I waited. Seeing my kids interact with her really helped. it truly is like having a little baby at first. I would put her in the crate for naps (and to help with potty training) I would let her out often, even waking up during the night twice to let her out. She took 6 months to potty train which is way longer than any other pup. It was a great feeling to finally take down those gates. My hubby reassured me that its not that hard (I was doing all the work) and exhausted. As she hit milestones it got easier. When I found myself sick I really panicked and thought I would need to return her (10 weeks old) but my hubby and kids helped.Now if I don't feel well she'll lie low with me which I love but if I do want adventure or fresh air she's right there beside me. Your honesty is admirable. I wish you luck. Try to teach her something like to sit. It may help form a stronger connection.Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply! I am up and down with my feelings which is better then before when I was only down.... I just can't believe all my begging for a dog and i feel this way. I am embarrassed.... I think once he is potty trained I will feel better.... My husband had a point about our kids being too small and he was right... it is hard to watch them and the dog.... one day at a time

Give it time Jess. You will find lots of support here. Many DK members had a rough go of it for the first few months.
They are such wonderful dogs who want to please you. Just work on your training, time will pass fast and soon you won't know how you lived without your doodle.

Thanks!! I will remember these words! 

Reading this brought back memories of the first night we brought Sophie home. Our first dog Clay had been gone for a couple of years and we had gotten into a comfortable no-dog routine. But I wanted to rescue and Sophie found us. The first night she was here I remember lying in bed thinking WHY did I do this? All I could think of was how much time and money would be required to get her numerous medical issues resolved and how much chewing and destruction would happen as we trained her. Believe me no sleep that night. But as she almost immediately won our hearts all those worries dissipated very shortly. We did have lots of vet visits but other than that none of the other worries even happened. As Amy said puppies are challenging. We have had several fosters lately and each one requires an adjustment and almost every time I say to myself what in the world was I thinking. I don't say it out loud 'cause then my husband would give me that told you so look. Hang in there. Best of luck.

wow I cant believe im not alone..... Thanks for your message!  I do say it out loud and my husband does give me the look lol

Feeling these exact feelings at the moment. Mia is 13 weeks and very mouthy/bitey. I feel like she's jumping and biting at us 24/7. Potty training has also not proved as easy as past dogs I've had. I have a barely 2 year old daughter and now a partially paralyzed pomeranian (she was my first dog, she's 10) added to the mix. It's been challenging. I have days where I regret getting her, but feel so guilty when I think that way. Just hoping it gets better with time. It seems my attention can't be split between the pup, the toddler, and now my older dog who has severe disc disease and needs extra care. Did i mention I work full time?!? Lol
Wow. You have your hands full. I hope things get better soon. I have to say having had a older dog and young children one of my regrets is not getting a puppy. It never seemed to be the right time. A new pup didn't even cross my radar. I think you wil be happy with your choice in the future.

I have a 17 month old and 3 year old and my husband warned me this wouldn't be the best time but of course I went on and on about how im home with them so its the best time lol

I have to admit he is right a lot of the time..... Im feeling better each day and hope my love for him will grow fast!

so glad im not the only one going through this...... Its funny because i could handle another baby no problem but yet a dog person probably couldn't.... yet they could handle this pup no problem 

Well, at least you are experienced with the frustrations (or not) of potty training.  A puppy is just as unpredictable as a two-year-old.  You are a busy woman working full time outside the home with all of that going on inside your home.  But, we all get by somehow.  I got my first doodle when my husband retired so we have always been home with them (or at least most of the time).  Potty training is the biggest challenge when you are working.  About the mouthing, just remember that their mouth and paws are the only way they have of communicating with you.  They do get beyond that with a little age.  I just raise my arm and say "ahh, ahh" when they look like they are going to nip.  Enjoy your canine and human babies.  The time just goes too fast.

Whoops, this was supposed to go on Kristen's page.  But it makes sense for you also.  Welcome to DoodleKisses.

Take a look on Jess's page.  There was a post that was meant for your page.

You've gotten lots of great advice here already, so I just wanted to add to the chorus of "it does get better!"  My first doodle was a really challenging puppy - she was strong-willed and a total puppy-shark.  Plus, I hadn't found DK at the time - so you're already ahead there!  With good consistent training, your guy can grow into a great dog.  Though I loved my puppy, I admit there were moments early in her puppyhood when I didn't like her all that much.  But she grew up to be the most wonderful, loving, smart, happy girl and I couldn't love her more.  I might have enjoyed her more as a puppy if I had reminded myself (every hour of the day!) "this too shall pass"...I think I was too busy worrying that she might be a furry demon at the time, lol. ;)  Good luck!  PS - your puppy is adorable!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service