DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi there, I rescued my Golden Doodle Ziggy from a small rescue group in NY. Many of the dogs at the rescue are from puppy mills. Mine was bred in Milan, Missouri, where most of the digusting puppy mills are. The breeder was actually Diana Stephenson, S&S Puppies. She is on the worst puppy mill list. It's hard to believe ziggy is from a puppy mill, he is truly a Wonderful, loyal, loving dog. Has anyone rescued a dog from this puppy mill or any other? After reading the puppy mill stories its so sad any dog lives in that type of environment. Thanks for any info, Patti -

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for giving Ziggy a good home and I am so glad it is going well.

S & S was on the HSUS "Dirty Dozen" report of the worst puppy mills in America. To read more about conditions at S & S, here's the full report:

HSUS Dirty Dozen

I just skimmed through this report....I read MORE than I could stand to read.  This is just one state....one report....it sickens me to even imagine how many more breeders are out there practicing this kind of abuse on these poor, helpless animals.   I believe what goes around comes around....in the case of these "breedersIT can't come soon enough.

Just one state, but Missouri has 1072 commercial breeders, and 128 brokers. Pennsylvania and Ohio combined have 301 commercial breeders and 73 brokers.
And that's only the ones who are registered with the USDA. The BYBs with a couple of dozen dogs aren't even included in that 1072 "commercial" breeding businesses.

We had a previous discussion on this. Here's a link:

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/hsus-report-missouris-dirty

And here's a webste where you can check where your own state ranks for commercial breeders:

http://www.maal.org/Puppy-Mills.asp

We live near Amish Country in Ohio and I can't even stand driving through there.  I always look at the barns and wonder if there are puppy mills in them.  You see them trying to sell their puppies in the parking lots at one of the Wal Mart's - now I refuse to shop at Wal Mart because they allow them to be there.  It just makes me sick.
My pup, Boca, whose 10 months old was rescued by Doodle Rescue Inc in Texas after she was dumped by the 'breeder' at a kill shelter along with her littermates (she was 9 weeks?  at the time).  Don't know if her breeder as a 'mill' or just a run of the mill BYB.  But there are others here with puppy mill pups that either they adopted from rescue or bought not knowing they were buying from a mill (until later).
Many of the worst Missouri mills do not sell to the public; these are commercial kennels that sell to dog brokers, The Hunte Corporation being one of the biggest. The brokers then sell them to the pet stores, and in some cases,  to the public through Internet websites. It is unlikely that anyone bought a puppy directly from these mills, but if you look at the "papers" that come with pet store puppies or Internet  Mill dogs, you will often find the name of the original "breeder", i.e. S & S or whoever.

This is the type of PM that my Samantha came from. Before I found DK, I had NO CLUE about pet stores.  I have never stepped foot until until the day I found Samantha - and yes, that is where I found her - in a pet store. I then got educated, fostered my GrandDoodle Mickey, who came from 'Almost Heaven' PM and then adopted Charli who came from an Ohio Amish Mill.

I am lucky - my girls have no PM issues and Mickey is still a bit shy around both stranger human and dogs but it is nothing that keeps him home and away from them.

Karen, wasn't that one of the large suppliers for Petland stores?
Hunte does supply Petland, along with other brokers.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service