DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Lily is about 4.5 months old now and overall things are going well. She knows many commands like sit stay lay etc. However the nipping, biting and constantly jumping on furniture is a constant problem with her. For the nipping I ignore her once she starts doing it and walk away ifI she is still doing it she goes in a bathroom for time out. Like an isolation away from us so she knows we don't like it. It has worked well at times and she comes out more somber and calmed down.
The most recent problem is her actually biting when one of my kids go to get her or pick her up to take her out. They go to reach gently and she likes to jerk her head back and bite I've yelled told her no and put in isolation. What else should I do. I have read some people say grab snout and yell no bite while others say that teaches negative behavior so remove her and isolate.
Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a whole section in the Puppy Madness Group about Mouthing/Nipping/Biting. You may get some good tips there. Here's a link: http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/puppymadness/forum/topics/compreh...

One thing: most puppies (and adult dogs) do not like to be picked up and carried. Perhaps your kids could use a leash to take her outside rather than picking her up.

Also, it's important to remember to always speak in a calm neutral voice, and never more so than when you are giving a verbal correction. Be firm, but don;t yell. Excitement begets excitement, and yelling just riles them up more. 
I'm not a big fan of man-handling or physical corrections like grabbing snouts. Again, that usually works against you by riling them up more. Say "no" or "no bite", never yell it. 

When Cocoa was a puppy (during her nippy stage) I told my kids to always hold a toy when they approached her. This way if she started nipping or getting mouthy they could encourage her to nip the toy instead. I also had a rule that my younger children were not allowed to pick her up (I let my twelve year old but he understood that he should only do it rarely). I didn't leave my younger kids (4-5 years old) alone to play with her- I kept her tethered near me so I could teach my little ones how to interact with her.

Children can unintentionally overstimulate puppies and soon the puppies start to jump on them and nip them like the kids were other puppies. I had to constantly remind my kids that if they act like a puppy and run around Cocoa like a puppy she'll treat them like a puppy. If the kids were too active and she was getting too excited I either sent the kids outside or crated Cocoa.

The good news is that puppies grow up... I invested a ton of energy working with Cocoa and my kids her first year and it really paid off- she is an absolute sweetheart now!!!
Thank you for all the suggestions. I am doing everything as you mentioned above. Only my 10 year old is allowed to put her in her pen etc. I am constantly training my 3 year old as well as the puppy. She definitely has her good and bad days. So it's probably just her being a puppy and constant training with her. Other times she can be very laid back and allow the kids to hug her etc. she prob just gets moody and needs some space. I'm glad to hear after a year your dog is sweerheart. That's what my kids want, the sweet dog that allows you to pet and hug her without nipping
Oh, one last thing… puppies generally don't like hugs- it makes them feel trapped and they may wiggle and nip to get away. Even most dogs don't really like hugs (it's really a unique human gesture of affection) but they learn to tolerate it. Dogs like to be pet, scratched, and given belly rubs :-)
When I needed to handle Gavin at that age I always gave him something to occupy his mouth so he did not nip. My go-to was a long cotton tube sock tied up in knots. I did the time out in the bathroom thing as you mentioned and that was a good strategy as well. This is just a stage. An annoying one though! They grow out of it :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service