DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello Fellow Doodle lovers!! its been a while since i've been on, have had a crazy few weeks with the start of a new job! i think finally im starting to setle down!! :) let me tell you, i am definitely glad to be back! i missed everyone! :)
ok, so down to business LOL does anyone know why the puppy paws or pads lol not sure how they would be called, get scratched up or very very rough? charly's paw pads were already like this when i got her, and when i take her out to play i only take her to the dog park where there is only grass. whenever she lays on me or next to me and touches m face with her paw i notice that its so so rough.. so when i pet her i always touch her paws just to see exactly how rough they are. some are rougher than others, some even feel like you could peel it off... is there somethng that can be done about this? does this hurt her? it feels to me like it would hurt her.

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From my understanding - it's just exposure to the elements that cause this. Like human skin during the winter months or extreme heat. You can purchase a product at pet stores for their paws. I've also used extra virgin coconut oil. Some people say Musher's Paw is a good balm that doesn't leave oil prints around the house and even vitamin E is fine. If you haven't added fish oil to your doodle's diet - you may want to consider that.

Just some thoughts. :)

~Danielle
What kind of fish oil do you add? Is there something specific at the pet store? or do you just go to GNC and get stuff for humans? How much do you give a dog?
Thank you. I am a health nut,so anything that I can do for Riley too.
I purchased mine from a pet store. I would say human grade fish oil is fine because I see no difference in the two according to ingredients. The one I purchased came with a pump which I found convenient. It also listed how much to give according to weight. I can give you the stats if you like.

Keep in mind that fish oil can go rancid rather quickly so once opened, keep refridgerated and check the dates on the product. The last pet store I went to had outdated product.

~Danielle
Okay -

According to the god's @ Icelandic Salmon Oil

They recommend giving one (1) teaspoon per 20 pounds of body weight daily.

A teaspoon of their product contains 1,118mg of omega 3 fatty acids
Great!

I'll have to compare prices. I bet Costco could beat the $17 per 8.75oz of canine salmon oil.
Yup, the pads can get rough & chapped just like human skin, especially during the dry winter months. We use Musher's Secret on Bailey's pads since he has to contend with snow, ice, & salt during the MI winters. It is a very nice product that conditions & protects the pads without leaving oily residue all over the place - it's light & has no smell so it doesn't bother him. Whatever you use, bear in mind that you don't want to over-soften the pads or they will be prone to damage.

Good luck!
THANK YOU for the advice!!! i will definitely look into the products you all mentioned! Does anyone know if the pads can be repaired if torn? or once they tear up do they stay that way always??

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service