DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Firstly I just have to say that my little Omar is a wonderful puppy who seems to charm everyone he meets. He has excelled in every way and I could not be happier with him. He's sweet, funny, goofy and clever. As a typical 15 week-old puppy though he likes to put everything in his mouth and on Tuesday he managed to eat and swallow a considerable amount of one of my outdoor plants on my back deck. I pulled whatever he was chewing out of his mouth but the next day he got diarrhea. It started out as soft poopy then progressed to pretty runny. I thought it was just the plant so I added pumpkin to his food and up until last night he still had diarrhea. I was starting to worry that maybe he got giardia and was planning on taking him to the vet today but then this morning he had a fully formed healthy looking poopy. My question is can he have a healthy looking solid poop if he has giardia? Or is this the proof that whatever he ate made him sick to his tummy and now he's on the mend?
Also, just want to add a big thank you to everyone on this forum. You have all made this experience of raising a puppy so much easier and even more delightful and you are all so helpful and sweet.

Views: 123

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds to me like the plant made him ill, which would make sense. Plant cellulose is indigestible. I would keep an eye on him and if the diarrhea returns, I'd get a fecal done, but I don't think it's giardia. That would be quite the coincidence, for giardia symptoms to start up a day after he ate most of a plant, and giardia doesn't just go away by itself; the stool usually gets worse, not better. :)

You will also want to make sure he doesn't have the opportunity to eat any more plants or anything else outdoors. :)

Thanks Karen. I've actually moved the plant to the front balcony where he doesn't hang out. He also tried to eat a jade plant at my mom's house but I stopped him of course. He clearly loves plants as much as our cat does. As a result we have no indoor plants. We can't even keep fresh cut flowers in the house because of the kitty so we all we have is a closed terrarium for some greenery. ;)
I agree with Karen. Just keep an eye on him. Some plants are toxic so you do need to be careful. We have the Danger Group which list toxic plants among other things.
Yes I checked out the plant's toxicity and it's not dangerous.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service