DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I went away for the weekend, and left Mousse at a Doggie Daycare / overnight boarding facility that we've used before.  I noticed on Tuesday (I picked him up Monday) that his 2 back paw pads looked very raw and were bleeding a bit!  I didn't notice Monday because when he gets home from this place he usually sleeps for 2 days :)  They lady that runs the place said when I picked him up "Well he definitely got his moneys worth! He's been playing non-stop since he got here!"  I don't know, but I'm thinking that they might have a paved area for the dogs to play in, and Mousse is not used to hard surfaces too much, since we have only grass and dirt.  So my question is, should I do anything in particular for him? and do you think he needs to see the vet or should I just let him rest?  He's been laying around pretty much all day since he got home, which is sort of normal since he plays so hard there.  My breeder said to spray him with an antiseptic / licking deterrent and just let it heal on it's own.  What do you think?

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bandit had this happen a couple times.. I would keep and eye on it for a day and it not noticing improvement go to the vet.  but in the meantime, call your vet especially if they are bleeding. 
Try using cooled off  wet tea bags on Mousse's paw pads. That should help to ease the pain. If they are bleeding or blistered, I would take him to the vet to make sure there is no infection.
Huff has done this twice. The first time was when we took Huff to the tennis court. He ran nonstop only to drink water and the surface of the tennis court was hard on his paws. The second time was when we were swimming and he was running the perimeter of the pool. You can put batodine on his paw pads to disinfect. Hope this helps. 
Thanks everyone!  He's much better.  He laid around all day yesterday and now he's pretty much back to normal.
this is very typical for young dogs, especially in either very cold or dry environments.  We had 4 dogs all under a year old get this at the dog park (5 acres of grass field) I go to after it snowed for the first time this year  All the young dogs started to wear down their pads about an hour into playing.  After 24/48 hours, the dogs healed up and their pads because harder, which helped deal with the elements.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service