DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bailey is a 21 week old mini goldendoodle. He weights 19 lbs and is pretty thin. His rear legs are skinny compared to his front leg and are also longer. Actually he is very leggy, more poodle than golden.

Is it normal for the rear legs to be longer? I think they look so much longer because they are so skinny. When he comes down the steps he has to stop as he tends to be stumble as his front legs and head are on the lower step and his rear legs are on the upper step. With his body like this, he almost will fall over if he doesn't stop.

I don't noticed the height difference on our older doodle and don't remember her being like this at the same age.

I have attached a picture of him on the steps; this is what he does after coming down 2 or 3 steps; he stops as if to take a break!

Views: 1849

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL He has the front legs of a retriever, the back legs of a poodle! :o) But he is sooo cute!

I am sure he is perfectly proportioned for a doodle. Maybe he needs a break between stairs.
He will grow into those legs! Very adorable! Is mom a poodle or a retriever?
He is an F2B, so both parents are goldendoodles. That back cross didn't help this guy other than his rear legs and his nose!! Most people think he is a flat coat retriever, but this is the look my daughter wanted. We have a 6 year old goldendoodle from the same breeder, so when my daughter, a college graduate, wanted a puppy I suggested another goldendoodle. She likes a smoother coated dog, the uglier the better, not that Bailey is ugly! Our breeder had this guy left over, I would think because of his coat. Bailey is the true black sheep of the family; his litter mates had the fullest wavy coats and pudgy, Bailey is skinny and flat coated.

Bailey reminds me of one of those kids puzzles where you mix and match the 3 pieces to make funny looking people by switching the head, body and legs. That said, this is a good puppy and we wouldn't trade he for anything even if people look at us funny when we say he is a goldendoodle!
Beth, Bailey is beautiful! Love, love his color. He just got a differnt mix of genes than his brothers and sisters.You may be better off with the flat coat- my wrists and hands have about had it from combing through the the thick thick hair that Tucker has. Does he shed at all?
Right now he sheds like a lab; hoping that changes as his adult coat comes in. His puppy coat was black with these beautiful brown highlights, but his adult coat is coming in a very silky shiny black. I will be curious to see if the brown comes back through. In the sunlight he almost looks brown where he still has his puppy coat.

Piper has a beautiful wavy coat that use to be over 6 inches long. I could not keep up with it and she was forever getting mats, so we know keep her cut shorter. With her playing outside and hikes in the woods, this was the best for all of us. Between Bailey's size and his coat, he is easy to throw in the sink and bathe him.
Well he sure is cute! Peri is a 6 month mini, but she is an F1 and is much shorter - built more like a retriever I guess! Bailey is definitely more poodleish!
He is a mini? What is the size difference of his parents, and thier parents? Its recommended not to breed more then 3-4 inches difference in height otherwise you can get issues like this (some breeders do to get mini's faster than downsizing over more generations). It may not be because of this, but that is one thing that can happen in breeding different sized dogs. There may be joint issues later in life due to different angles of impact than "normal" for a dog that height and weight, or he may be totally fine and out grow that difference by adulthood. who knows, love 'em and cross that bridge if it ever happens.
He's so cute!!
I was at the vet today for Bailey's microchip so I talked to the vet about the legs. She said that yes, the rear legs are longer and that they might stay that way, but Bailey will fill out more in the shoulders and he will be able to balance himself better.

The vet didn't seem the least bit concerned, so I will not worry about it until I need to, if at all. I will just watch him fill out and see what happens.
Puppies go through a knobby gangly stage at 4 to 5 months of age and usually grow out of it by 6 months....
I remember Piper's adolescent look, although I thought it was later. My only concern was the rear legs are really longer than the front; the vet said he was a "low rider!"

Here is a pic of Lucy at about that age......... ALL LEGS. lol lol lol
That will change.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service