DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My poor Duncan. After dealing with his first real IBS flare up this Spring (which we were able to get under control through diet thanks to Karen's fantastic advice), he has been on the mend and doing great.

We boarded him at the vet for 8 days recently while we were out of town. We like to board at the vet because everyone there is great/friendly and I figured it would be a clean/safe place for Dunk... which has been up until this last visit.

He had his bordatella vaccine a week before we boarded him. A day after we picked him up, I noticed one of his eyes was extra gunky. Upon closer examination I knew my dog had conjunctivitis (as a classroom teacher I can spot it a mile away). An $85 trip to the vet confirmed what I already knew and we were given medicated drops for his eyes. I made sure to let them know that he must have picked it up at the kennel because he had been there for so long and had been around other dogs. I wasn't really mad... dogs are like kids and they pick up germs from other kids. I wanted them to be aware so that they could disinfect and be on the lookout for other dogs with the same symptoms. Looking back though, I probably should have asked for a discount on the medication.

Fast forward to two days ago (so Dunk has been home from boarding for 3 days) I notice he's sneezing a lot and has done some coughing (regular coughing, no goose honk) and some reverse sneezing as well. The last reverse sneeze fit he had sounded like it hurt him. He does seem sleepier than usual as well but is eating/drinking/pottying fine.

I know we need to go back to the vet because obviously he has something going on. However, I know that I'm not going to be very pleasant about it because my dog became ill in their care. Has anyone else experienced this? What should I say to the vet's office?

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bordatella vaccine doesn't provide 100% protection against the disease. Lots of dogs who've been vaccinated for it do end up getting bordatella anyway; usually, it's milder than it would have been without the vaccine. But you do need to see the vet to make sure that's what it is, and get him treated. There are other flu viruses that can affect dogs. 

I've never boarded a dog, and I've owned dogs since 1977. We had a recent discussion here on DK about other options; the consensus was that the best option is a petsitter, either in their home or yours. 

I hope Duncan gets better soon.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service