DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Okay last question.  Lexie has roundworms and was given medication a few days ago, so I assume they're gone.  This is the third time she has had this.  She's only been around my mom's dog and they play and mouth each other, he was just tested and doesn't have worms.  However, my next door neighbor has an older dog and since we live in a condo our little patio area (which is dirt and pebbles) is where the dogs go potty.  I put up a little wood fence, which Lexie sometimes jumps over or sticks her head over to sniff the neighbors area.  My vet told me to let my neighbor know about the worms, because she could have them too.  They are nice people, but seem very lazy.  Neither they nor their dog ever leave the house.  I think Lexie could have give their dog worms and they keep passing it back and forth.  I'm not sure how to approach this again with them. I was thinking of grabbing a "sample" myself and taking it to the vets, but their dog only seems to go at night.

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you use Heartgard Plus for heartworm protection, it will take care of roundworms, too.

Interceptor is another brand of medication for heartworm, roundworm, and whipworm protection. Sentinel is another. I was so mad that my vet did not recommend one of these or Heartguard Plus beforehand or even once my pup got whipworms. I found out here. Wow. Waking up multiple times per night with a dog who has diarrhea and spending $600+  on vet fees and animal ER's is not my idea of how I want to live life with a dog! I can't imagine doing it three separate times!

Now I know, and so do you. Hope Lexie improves and doesn't get it again! Hang in there!

Thanks for the info.  I will check into this with my vet. 

Hmm, I think you should let them know that your dog has it and that their is a chance their dog could as well. I  think you would want to know if the roles were reversed.

Maybe they are not lazy, maybe they have some kind of physical impairment that limits them from leaving the house, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and let them know.

Jack never had round worms but he did have tape worms, now he is on Iverheart which is supposed to deworm them each month.

I already did let them know, but it didn't seem like they really cared.  No physical impairments either.  I might just take a sample myself from their dog and take it to my vets.

P.S. I don't know if roundworms operate like whipworms, and I assume your vet has instructed you in ridding Lexie of roundworms completely, but just in case, we are having to treat Lucy 3 weeks from the original infection (infestation?) and again 3 months from the original illness in order to cover the lifecycle of the parasite in the gut to make sure they are all the way gone.
I plan on going back in another month to see if she is rid of them.  I think they just never really went away.  My vet assured me each time that what he gave her will kill them and the eggs and she'll be done for good.  But, I need to keep checking anyways.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service