DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'll start out with saying that she is just fine.  She (or perhaps more so me) was just a bit shaken up. 

I started out on some errands today with Rua.  We went to the beauty supply store to find some thinning shears (they were out), went next door to the natural dog food store (got some peanut butter & blueberry treats), then went into to Office Depot (worked on walking her up and down the isles) and then finally to Petco to do some training (kinda a long strip mall).  At Petco they had retired greyhounds to adopt out, so we tried to do some recalls and sits.  Just a bit too much distraction, so I decided to go to the dog park.

I took Adina's advice and did some recalls outside of the park on her long lead, and she did fairly well.  So, as a reward, I took her in to play.  Kinda windy and cool, though the sun was shining.

All was going well, she really was actually venturing away from me and having so much fun running and frolicking.  She is always fairly cautious in approching dogs, and she will run back towards me if dogs appear too aggressive to her (we were in the small dog part).  Well, I was chatting with a couple who had a 1-year old fairly shy dog, and fortunately I always  Rua in my sight.. All of a sudden, Rua is being surrounded by four dogs and they started attacking her.  Rua was squealing/crying in a very high-pitched manner so I did what any totally insane person would do...I threw myself over Rua, pulled her from the dogs and tucked her under me to protect her.  I tucked my head down to keep from getting bit in the face.  The other dogs were pulled off of us...I don't even know who really attacked her (I think two of them were border collie-type dogs)...but just heard lots of "are you both alright" and "I'm sorry".

I checked her over...someone said one of the dogs had her by the top of the head...and other than being full of dead grass from being rolled, having a wet head from slobber, and piddling herself, thank God she was fine.  I did get bit on my left index finger, 1/2 way between where it joins my hand and the first knuckle.  The skin was punctured just a bit (just a few drops of blood) in two places.  I have treated it and will just watch and see.  I am not concerned about rabies...just an infection.

I had been considering getting an invisible fence this spring so Rua can run and play in the backyard.  The back of our lot is along the out-of-bounds line for the 6th hole of the golf course we live on and we have golfers almost in a yard all summer long (ummm mostly the bad golfers LOL).  After reading more about invisble fencing, I am thinking that I am going to have to talk my DH into a real fence.  We can only put up an ornamental fence and they are really expensive.  What with the housing prices, we wouldn't recoup the cost of an installed fence in who knows how long.  But, I think perhaps I can get an Ornamental Alumium fence - instead of iron - and do-it-ourselves (how hard can it be to dig and set 37 or so fence posts) install.  Hmmm...perhaps I will hire the digging!  I had planned on getting new great room furniture this spring, but I think a fence needs to be a higher priority!

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dori, I am coming in late on this but I am SO glad to hear you guys are okay and Rua was not injured. I just freaked when I saw your headline!  She is such a tiny, innocent little soul and the thought of someone or thing harming her is just horrible!!  I like your fence idea!! Stay safe!!
Ruby went through similar horror at 4 months in a dog park! She was playing with a rescue dog who freaked when 2 big dogs came over. In a second, they were all rolling Ruby and snarling-- I was so freaked! Such terrible howls from Ruby. She was hysterical and even tried to bite me saving her. I carried her to Emergency vet, who thought she was OK, just hyperventilating from fear, and that when she had tried to bite me, she was so upset she didn't know who I even was. The next day her breathing was still labored so her vet took xrays-- and 2 ribs were broken! She's fine now of course but doesn't like big dogs or dog parks much. Definitely a 1-dog girl, preferably small and white. I was never so horrified and scared in my life. I know just how you feel!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service