DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

As most of you know, we are getting our second doodle in about 5 weeks and the nervousness is starting to set in!!!

I have been "working" on DH for a year now to say yes to #2 and now that the time has come I am really starting to get nervous.  I have never owned 2 dogs before so I am really starting to think about the following...

What if he doesn't like to go for car rides? Bailey loves to go!

What if he doesn't like to go to the beach? Bailey does!

What if he doesn't do well in crowds ie. festivals, craft shows etc. Bailey does!

What if he is doesn't like other dogs? Bailey does!

Is it possible to love another doodle as much as I love Bailey?  I am the mother of an only child so I have never had to "spread the love" LOL

I have a wonderful trainer that I have been taking Bailey to since she was about 6 months old, so the training part is not a problem. 

These are just some of the things I think about while trying to sleep at night LOL....

I have a wonderful trainer that I have been taking Bailey to since she was about 6 months old, so the training part is not a problem. 

From all you "two doodle families", Is this normal or am I just nuts? LOL

Views: 672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can certainly relate to your wondering about all of these issues.  Some more than others.  I'll address my thoughts below:

What if he doesn't like to go for car rides? Bailey loves to go!  I worried about this a lot as I had seen people here whose dogs did not like the car and had lots of issues.  Because we travel a lot with the girls, this was a must.  When we went to pick her up April had not fed since early that day.  She said watch her a little while in the car and if she does ok, give her a few pieces of kibble.  Wait, then some more kibble.  Never too much.  She did fine on the way home.  She did however have issues a couple other times going to the Vet if she had eaten too close to when we left.  We learned we had to time her feedings when she would be going in the car.  Today, she is fine with the car.  No problems.  

What if he doesn't like to go to the beach? Bailey does!  I think that Bailey will show him the ropes on this one.  He will just follow her lead.  

What if he doesn't do well in crowds ie. festivals, craft shows etc. Bailey does!  I think as long as you start socializing immediately you will be fine.  You don't have to wait for all the shots, just carry him out in public.

What if he is doesn't like other dogs? Bailey does!  I think your trainer will lead you in the right direction here.  

Is it possible to love another doodle as much as I love Bailey?  I am the mother of an only child so I have never had to "spread the love" LOL.    This one I think I can shed some light on.  As most know, Sophie was my girl.  We spent so much time together.  When we lost her I wasn't sure what to do.  When AnnaBelle sort of fell in our laps I worried about comparing her or could I love her as much  ... the answer is without a doubt, YES!  You might love him differently, but you will love him just the same.  My guess is when you are out as a family you will still walk Bailey and DH will walk the new puppy.

I can also say that getting a puppy when you have a well trained dog is so much easier.  AnnaBelle had minimal accidents in the house.  She just followed Lucy and Honey's lead.  She still does that.  When I call them to come inside she turns and looks at Lucy like "should we go"!  Honestly I should have gotten Lucy a little better trained there, lol!  

I would though probably prepare yourself for a little jealousy on Bailey's part though.  I'll be surprised if she isn't just a little jealous in the beginning!

She doesn't tend to be jealous when I pay attention to other dogs but I'm sure it will be different when the little one is living with us and not going to someone else's home LOL 

Bailey got car sick as a puppy and we have to not let her eat about an hour before we go anywhere also...  She has probably grown out of it but we continue her routine just in case..

I was going to say you go through the same thing with a second child, but I see you have an only child.  Yes, yes, yes to everything.  It will all work out and after you have two, you will never be able to go back to one.  I am struggling with that right now.  Groucho Too died in February and we thought Harpo would be a fine only dog, but no, he has never been alone a day in his life.  We have another doodle staying with us now and another coming on Friday.  For the weekend we will have three dogs.  Bailey will love the new pup and you will love having two dogs.  Now you will have something else to keep you up at nights!

You are a little nuts...that nervousness is just excitement...the second one is so easy...your first dog will probably take the lead and train the new puppy.  It is really fun and you should try to relax and enjoy it.

We have only ever been a one dog at a time family...but definitely would consider expanding...so can't speak from experience but many friends and family we know who do have two or more...swear by it and wouldn't have it any other way...I think these are perfectly normal feelings you are having and am sure this will only mean double the love and double the doodle kisses for you:)

Yes, Miss Ellie, we have been a two-dog family for over twenty years.  My son had a shepherd and my husband got a standard poodle puppy.  They bonded so much that when the shepherd died, the poodle was beside himself with grief.  When they are that sad, they will not even look out a window.  So I got started with doodles and got him a labradoodle puppy.  When the poodle was getting up there in years, I did not want my labradoodle to go through the same thing so I got him a goldendoodle puppy.  He was so involved with his puppy that he didn't even notice when the poodle passed over the bridge.  Then the goldendoodle went through even worse grief when the labradoodle died and I got him an ALD.  Now the goldendoodle is gone and we are going through it again.  I sure wish my dogs would live for a longer time.  This is difficult for me and well as for the dogs.

I don't have any advice for you, since I just have one dog.  But I'm sure Bailey will show him the ropes, and explain to him how great car rides, beaches, people, and other dogs are.  Hopefully, he'll follow her lead.

Not to blow sunshine on your nuts, but expect good and bad. Expect change.
What can go wrong always does so be prepared to accept and expect.
This takes away all those, " it's a Perfect " combination thoughts.

Now that you know, have a Ton of FUN! Enjoy. Feel lucky because you are :)
I smell puppy breathe and can feel razor teeth on my hands. LOL

Sunshine on your nuts is never good :) They get hot!

Oh Laurie, you never disappoint with your comebacks  LOL

LOL.....I can never pass up a good nut comment :)

Thanks Joanne, I guess it is the change that I am most concerned about...  But will accept it with delight!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service