DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi All!  Ok....so I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new ALD some time this June.  When I see Doodles in the park, I love to pet them; their beautiful fleecing coats!  I was all set to purchase whatever type of brush I needed; perhaps detangle spray (if there is anything like that for dogs) and get my pup used to being brushed daily.  But from what I'm reading, is it really  impossible to keep their coats long and beautiful without gettnig matted? Do they alwyas need to be shaved down in order to maintain control?  Would love to read your comments!  Thanks!

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I keep Sasha (Goldendoodle) (very poodley) long and natural.... she does get matted when I don't brush her often.  Oliver (Labradoodle) does not need to be brushed as often as Sasha.  You just need to try different products and bruches to see what works best for you and your doodle.  I tried tons of different products but like Chris christensen's spectrum Ten hydor Pac Intensive treatment - it is the best !!! it keeps sasha's hair silky soft and matt free way longer than the other products do.  Good luck with your need doodle, June will be here before you know it :) 
I cut Harley down to about 2 inches in the summer because he likes it.  He does not like being hot.  The first summer we moved to GA I had him shaved.  It didn't go over well with my fiance and even Harley seemed upset by it.  As goofy as he looked, I think he was truly embarassed!  I am not dilligent about brushing, usually only brushing once a week, but matting had never been a problem until recently.  When we moved back to CT, Harley and our other dog were left for a month so that we could settle in.  Obviously my friends didn't really believe he needed his weekly brushing and now that he is back home his hips and under his arms and legs are just giant mats.  I am taking him to the groomer tomorrow and I am sure I am going to get an earful and I promise Harley won't enjoy this trip to the groomer like he usually does. : (
It really depends on what kind of coat your doodle ends up with.  Our multi-gen mats, even at two years old, so we try to brush and comb him out at least once a week (ideally twice a week).  When is coat gets longer, around two inches, it can take 3 hours, twice a week to keep him mat free.  We have been keeping around one inch just because the maintenance is easier, although I do love the way he looks when it is longer.  As Karen said, the key is to COMB them.  You have to be able to get right down to the skin and comb through the coat, brushing often skims over the surface coat but doesn't get to the roots.  If you have the time to do it regularly, it is a great time to bond with your dog.  Start right from day one with a really soft brush to get the puppy used to being handled and groomed.

NOT

all doodles mat.  Not all doodles mat a lot.  Not all doodles shed. Not all doodles not-shed.  Most non-shedding doodles seem to have a change in their coat from pup to adult. During that time most of those doodles who have a change, do mat - some badly, some not so bad.  You do not have to shave your doodle but you may need to shorten the coat to help you manage it.  Ned when he began matting:.  You do have to brush and comb a bunch  and you must do it effectively from the skin out.  There are videos to help you see how to brush/comb.  There are brushes and combs that help you do a better job of it.  The shortest we cut Ned during the matting stage was when he was 11 months old:

Thank you everyone...for your comments on male vs female and grooming techniques.  Only make me more excited to get my puppy this sprng!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service