DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am reading a bit into the genetics of dogs, especially Labradors and Poodles. And have a question, hope you can tell me whether I am thinking right. Got stuck on the colors already :p

So my dog's dad is a black poodle and the mom is a yellow lab. My dog is yellow and black nosed.

What I understand is that the E gen is responsible for the making a Labrador yellow. But what I don;t understand is, what the E gen does in other races? I mean don't they have it? Or do they only carry them? (ee)

edit: Sorry I just read that the E gen is reccesive, so a yellow lab should have always ee, but can the poodle has the E gen too?

And also; the E gen is dominant as I understood it, is that right?

Hope someone can enlighten me. :)

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I think I found my answer on the internet...

Don't know if I am supposed to link to other pages, so please remove if not allowed:

Color Genes in the Poodle

Genetics for color is complicated and not fully understood. there are genes for silvering and other factors. But the simple part both B and E have dominant and recessive versions. My doodles are bbee since they are both light with rose noses and hazel eyes. There are lots of places on the web where you can read on color genetics. Here's a simple explanation:

Basic Solid Colour & Working it our for Yourself (smile)

There are 4 Main Solid Colours in the Australian Labradoodle BLACK, CHOCOLATE, CARAMEL & GOLD. These are the only solid colours! All the other colours are made possible with two other Genes "V" which lightens and "R" which darkens :)

Important info! 
Every dog has 4 colour Places/Units in total.  Half given to them from Mum and Half from Dad. So 2 units from each "?? ??"  (Not always in that order).

• Black in the info below = Black, Blue & Silver.   
  • Brown = Chocolate, Cafe, Lavender & Parchment and
  • Yellow = Red, Gold, Cream & Chalk and
  • Caramel = Red to Chalk with a rose nose.
There are only 4 combinations possible for Black Dogs, 2 combinations for Brown & Yellow dogs and one for our Caramel the rose nosed Yellow  "bbee"  If you have one you now know its colour makeup :) Each Colour has one letter to make life easier writing things down!   as such "B b e e"  Four letters = four units. Capitals are written before little letters.

"B" Capital B stands for all shades of Black "b" Baby b stands for all shades of Brown "E"  this one is No Yellow ! Masking Yellow, A Blank  (It went Fishing :) "e " Stands for all shades of Yellow 
Most of the colour units are hidden from view (don't ask me where :) for puppies to access when they are choosing their colours! This is why pups aren't always the same as each other or mum/dad as they may of chosen from the hidden/carried colours.  Easy!

Thanks Calla!

I think I understand it a bit now :)

I think my dog could be a Bbee or a BBee type? I assume BBee because of the black nose right? Or would he have to be bbee to be blonde with a liver nose? So he can be a Bbee as well?
Lol i keep refering to my dog... But we only pick him up tomorrow, so he isnt mine yet XD

HE would need only one B. bbee would not have a black nose.

Well, not such an easy question.  You need to do a little research with dog genetics.  I don't understand it all, but I know that many dogs have a color on their noses that change with age.  F is very knowledgeable about these types of things.

Thanks for the post. Zack is black and 90#'s. His mom and dad were both goldendoodles...mom 40#'s and white, dad 45#'s and orange. He had a large black standard poodle for a grandad.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service