DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,

our Ozzie is really smelly - we have tried loads of different shampoo's but after he's dried he has this

odour about him.We have checked his ears and pay careful attention to his paws.any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lesley and Ozzie UK

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you tell that it's coming from any certain area of his body?
Does it go away at least briefly after washing?

Some possibilities:
1) Something in his mouth (an infection?)
2) Stinky Beard
3) Anal glands that need expressing.
High protien diet?...Skin allergies?

I noticed with my own doods particularly my ALD that diet does effect odor.....My F1B always smells sweet like cookies no matter what...lol....but my little ALD who does have allergies to grain always smells "doggy" on the grain free diet..
This did happen once with Guinness, and it was his anal glands that needed to be expressed. In addition to smelling really bad, he was rubbing his "bottom" on the rug which was our "sure sign". It only happened once, and he's 17 mos. Look for signs like rubbing his butt or turning around and trying to lick himself. I also find with Murph that his beard smells, and I wash it well every few days. Do you use a groomer for Ozzie...she may also have some thoughts.
Spud smells if his hair becomes long and I fail to get close to the skin when brushing him. A comb grooming works good and keeping his hair shorter during the summer. Spud swims a lot and his coat dries on the surface but close to the skin it becomes a mildew smell almost.
Starlit's breath smells no matter what food I feed her.

So I'm with Adina can you tell us more?

Jacquie-interesting about a smelly dog and grain free foods. I think in Starlit's case I'll keep the good food and give her a breathe mint. :)
On that note, how often do the glands need to be expressed?
Yeah I was wondering about this too I was brushing ruby and noticed some discharge in that area.... Yuck got on my hand!!!
Well, that's when you know it's time! :-)
Rubys been a butt licker from day one...good to know I thought she just liked to do it !!!
anal glands?
No it is not anal glands - he's just been bathed in cherry and banana shampoo i have washed every part of his body, rinsed him to within a inch of his life and spent the last 1/2 hr with the hair dryer.So if he smells when he is perfectly dry he's going to the vet.
Thanks for all your help i'll let you know what happens.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service