DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to reconcile the need for socialization in puppies at 8 to 12 weeks with the fear of parvo? Everything I've read says this is the most important time to expose your puppy to lots of people and varied situations, but how do you do that and avoid the dangers of contracting this disease? We pick Barkley up this week, and I would love any tips that you guys have.

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you use anything in particular to wipe their paws? That sounds like a great idea to me.
Thanks! I didn't even know these things existed! Are they different from people's bacterial wipes?
The only common product that kills parvo is bleach. So it probably doesn't make much of a difference whether you use special wipes or simply a wet towel that you wash between use because other less powerful chemicals won't kill parvo so the only role of wiping is to to reduce how much 'stuff' is on the paws. That can be done with warm water washcloth or wet paper towel I imagine.
Yeah, after thinking about this, I remembered parvo is a virus, sadly. But all wipes have certainly come in handy in the last 24 hours since we've had Barkley! I am ASTOUNDED as to how much dirt, sand, and water his little paws can soak up! He's like a microfiber mop swishing around the backyard! But, boy, is he cute...
You can take him to visit family & friends who you know do not pose a threat....also, let him play with other select dogs that you personally know are disease free and only in areas that you feel will be safe....always carry him if you're not sure and keep in mind that people can transport the virus into your home or other places on the bottom of their shoes!

My vet didn't even want them in puppy class until after ALL the shots were done. I think I was the only one who waited this long, but I really felt better that I did. We took classes locally, but I can remember one Petsmart employee trying to encourage us to sign up our puppy at 8 weeks......that was out of the question...no shots and in a very high dog traffic area.

Just be ultra cautious and the time really does fly by until you can proudly walk them anywhere you'd like! Good luck and enjoy your new pup....you must be so excited!
Yeah, it's the bottom of people's shoes thing that has me really confused: if you take your puppy over to someone's house, even friends or family, that's impossible to control. Also, if healthy, vaccinated dogs can carry it, how do you know if your friends' dogs are safe to play with?
You basically reiterated everything my vet told me when I met her for the first time last week. She feels socialization trumps the chance of parvo, but it's hard for me to be really comfortable with what I feel is an obvious contradiction in advice. Your tips about the dog bags and the foot wipes makes a lot of sense to me. On another note, the first goldendoodle my husband and I ever saw was in Central Park. We stopped the owner and asked her what kind of dog it was. She was really friendly and took the time to tell us about the breed. We were hooked, and that was what led us now six months later to Barkley!
There's the question, Leslie! I am confused on that as well!
I agree with Mary.. visit folks you know.. dogs you know.. but expose him to lots of different (safe) locations.. I wouldn't risk being around dogs you don't know until he's a bit older.

The thing about Parvo is that it's sorta like the flu.. you may get the shot but still get Parvo because it's a different strain than you were vaccinated against.. This just happened to a friend of mine.. her dog was in doggy ICU for 5 days with Parvo even though he had the shot... he lived and is home again healthy as can be!
Thanks, Mary. Yeah, we can hardly wait!
I was SUPER paranoid with my Rosco---made poor Clark "quarantine" his dogs between his house and mine.

You can have people come to visit you (puppy socialization party!) and just have them leave their shoes at the door and wash their hands before touching puppy. Puppy classes are also good for this. And healthy dogs you know are probably a safe bet. Parvo is a scary, awful virus...but undersocialization can also be a big problem!

I would talk to your vet (call several in the area)...find out about the current parvo situation. If it's been going around or widespread in your area then more caution might be warranted, but otherwise general safety should be enough.

Don't go to parks, dog parks, r pet store with puppy and don't let puppy walk on vet floor.
I'm on the flip side of this problem! Lizzie (now 16 weeks) got parvo at 13 weeks, and now we're quarantined so that we don't spread it! I have let her play with her cousins and other adult dogs I know are vaccinated in safe places, but she is still very under-socialized! She's scared of everything! So good luck, I hope you do not ever have to deal with parvo, it's miserable. But definitely don't let her around any dog poo, as adult dogs can spread the disease without having symptoms.
Parvo education: Parvo can live on a hard surface for 5 months and in dirt for a year; but can be killed with a 30-1 water/bleach solution. (good idea to clean bottoms of shoes and hard toys occasionally). I agree that if you do have people over, make them take off their shoes and always wash hands. Absolutely NO trips with the puppy to petsmart, dog parks, or public places like that until well after 16 weeks (last vaccinations). Trips to friends' back yards and relatives is okay and a great way to socialize, as long as you know they're safe. Puppy vaccinations aren't 100% effective against parvo (Lizzie had had all 3) especially if the puppy was weaned late. Everyone has different opinions about when you can go to puppy class, it's up to you and the vet. Infection also depends on the amount of parvo ingested related to the strength of the immune system, so a mouthful of infected poo is much more dangerous than a few viruses tracked in by shoes. And lastly: If your puppy ever has sudden-onset lethargy and vomiting/diarrhea TO THE VET immediately. Don't wait to see if he gets better on his own.

Don't want to scare you, but I always think that giving information is the best way to give advice, especially having lived through it. In reality, Parvo is rare, but there is so much hype because it is so deadly. It is survivable though, especially with early treatment. Congratulations on your new baby! I hope you're catching some extra sleep, because you'll need it soon!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service