DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,

Please offer your advice.  Sophie is now 6 months old.  For the first few weeks of getting her, I hand fed her.  Every now and then I will touch her back or put my hands into her bowl while she is eating to test her.  A few weeks ago, she made a growling sound and I was upset.  I took the bowl away and made her eat the rest of the food out of my hands  I again made her eat out of my hands for the next week.

This morning - I pet her back while she was eating and she made a much louder growl (she does not turn around and look at me), but I do not like to hear her growl.  I took away her food and put it on the counter for a few minutes.  I gave it back and she looked at me hesitantly as if to say 'is it ok it I eat?'  I thought ok good, she sees that she upset me and she will take her food much more nicely now.  Nope, I pet her back and she growled again.

Is there any advice you can offer?  Am I correct to take her food away and then hand feed her?  

Thank you,

Kristin

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, the discussion is in the Training Group, lol. But it's a good one. :)

Thank you very much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjpP5EZC7HI

This is a short video with Victoria Stilwell and a dog that guards his food. She says - do NOT take away the food. As Sandy says, you taking it away confirms her fear. Watch this - it might help.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service