DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So Trixie will be Spayed in January...I waited until after her first heat because she had Puppy vaginitis.

Which 'seems' to be gone now that she has been in heat.

So I need to decide if I should go with the old Traditional Scalpel Surgery or Laser ($71 more) Which Isnt the main issue...But it is still there...our Estimate from our vet is $340-$760 for her Spay...Chipping is $63...Which I will have done- but it seems rather high.

I need to call them with my questions...

Some of the items on the High end Estimate:

IV fluids & Pump is an additional $67...Im not sure what this is...if they need it?

Xray the hips $98...I thought that was done after 2 years of age to check for hip dysplasia...?

Therapeutic Laser Post Op...$17.50. I have no idea what that is.

Post Op Pain control $22.50...Will she maybe not need this...if Laser is done?

Post Op Analgesia  $22.50- Again...These last 2 are listed only in the High Column

There is also Pain Managment listed $9-$50 (Low -Hi)

I have owned 4 dogs that I had Spayed...One had Piometria- ER Surgery.

2 Were under the age of 2...All of them were Scalpel.

My Last dog was spayed at 6 years with the Laser & She had Urinary Incontinence starting about 10 months after her surgery... Coincidence??  

So thats my fear.

Cone head- $18- Have one of them already.

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aww...I'm so sorry your girl cried! That is hard for a mommy to hear!  I'm glad that she is resting now and hope you both have a good night. Did they give you some pain meds for her?

I'm still stunned at the cost! :(

Thanks for the update!

Poor Trixie, I hope she has a peaceful night and feels better soon!

Ditto.

I hope Trixie is going to have less pain soon. I'm sorry she is suffering so much. I hope you can both rest today.

it was a hard night.   Trixie slept for 2 hrs only.  We took turns laying on the floor next to her.   if my body could have taken it I wouldnt have asked dh to take over after 3.5 hrs of laying next to her. (even with pain meds- Although I dont think it was all pain, alot I think was from the surgery & 'trauma' of it)

She wasnt doing much better when we 'got up'  I gave her another pain pill 1 hr ago & that has helped.

She has not eaten but 1/8 cup of food at the most.

She has not drank any water : (...I did get her to eat some crushed Ice twice & will offer that often.

She hates her Cone!   But she wants to lick the minute it is off.  We found a soft one at a store (someone had pictures of their dog in one awhile back)  Dh is going to pick one up after work.

I just took her cone off to see if she would try some food or water again...And she made a beline for the toilet...behind it to be exact...her comfort sleeping spot from when she was a puppy (she still lays there occasionally)

At least she cant get to her incision when she is laying behind the toilet...

I'm sorry Trixie is having so much trouble with this. It's not unusual for a dog to refuse food  for a day or two after spay surgery. You might try offering her some plain boiled chicken and white rice if she continues to refuse her food after another day. Offering the crushed ice is a good idea, to keep her hydrated. The soft collar is another good idea. She will be much more comfortable and rest easier with it. I really think it's worth the investment, there are almost always other times in a dog's life when you need to keep them from licking at a sore spot, so it's a good thing to have.

I hope she feels better soon!

Oh, poor Trixie-I hope that she recovers soon. Her comfort spot-how sweet. Hang in there, it will get better. We also slept on the floor with Chloe even though she was just sleeping it off, she didn't like the cone either.

I think the first night/day is the roughest. Hopefully she will start improving from here on out. Poor girl! It was so sweet of you and your DH to lay with her!

Poor Trixie. Luca used to lie beside the toilet when he was a pup. I hope things get better soon.

Poor Trixie and poor you.  I hope she improves as the day goes on and you both get a good sleep tonight.

Poor Trixie is having a hard day : (

She did sleep good last night- well I dont know if she slept good. But she did move around or keep us up.  She woke in the middle of the night to go potty & we gave her a pain pill (as she normally sleeps though) so we assumed the pain woke her.

Today she is worse then yesterday during the day.

She cant seem to find a comfortible position to lay.   She has slept mainly behind the toilet ...Where she will be on her bellly- Or slides around to her side.  I think the cold Tile must help her feel better (and its her comfort spot)

Otherwise she paces...trys to find a spot to sit & then acts like something spooked her & takes off...She doesnt get to a laying down position usually because she cant even sit.

Tonight when she ate (standing) She would even stop & look towards her belly...And once she even did the spooked run.

She is still on pain pills...(Tramadol  & Rimadyl)

but she has not cried once since that 1st night (Thursday)

Maybe the Incision feels Funny & Pulls?   And it scares her?  (the incision looks good)

I feel so bad for her

Yeah, it must be the funny feeling down there. I imagine it as a throbbing sensation, just like when I cut my finger open and had stitches. I think the good sign is that she does not cry anymore. Hang in there, both you and Trixie. It should get better and better each day.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service