DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone,

I want to breed labradoodles when my chocolate lab is old enough. I will not be over breeding her. I am thinking 1 time every 2 years. I don't plan on having a big breeding kennel or anything like that but I am curious about doodle size preferences. I don't know if I want to breed to a standard poodle or a mini. What size is more preferred? I will be keeping one of the puppies to possibly breed in the future so I don't know what size to go for. Any input would be appreciated.

Views: 1050

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love dogs, too, as does everyone who responded to your discussion, but none of us is breeding them or has any intention of ever doing so. Loving dogs is not a reason to breed them. There are over 10,000 members here, most of whom love dogs. What would happen if we all bred them?  

I am not saying that everyone should breed. BUT why do think that doodle breeders started breeding?! There had to be a love for dogs, a love of the breed and I doubt they want to break even when they breed their dogs. They all had to start somewhere.

Also, regarding what is more "desirable", fewer and fewer reputable breeders are even breeding F1 labradoodles any more, many people feel that F1Bs and multigens are more "desirable" because the coats are usually more allergy friendly and predictable, and you have less chance of shedding. 

I fully intend to breed other then F1 doodles. My lab is just the start. I want to keep one of her daughters and breed F1B. I did the research on the doodle coat types. I know. If you want to look at it in a nasty way then ALL doodle breeders are unresponsible, after all doodles are mutts no matter how picky you are about lineage. I don't want to look at it that way cause I do love doodles. Half the dogs I work with are doodles. I think they are a great dog. None of your responses have been very pleasant so sorry if mine aren't either. AND it's not like I'm a back yard breeder or puppy mill or a person that has 20 breeding dogs. I have one. It will not be something that will support my family but it something that I have been wanting to do. Who know I may breed 1 litter and decide it not for me BUT it's my choice to make.

Yes, it's your choice, but you are the one who chose to post about it here. This is not a breeders forum, there are lots of those for people who are interested in becoming breeders. This is an owners social forum. The members who are actual doodle breeders don't post here asking about how to breed or what size dogs to breed, or "what is desirable". They have a goal or a vision of what they want to produce, they aren't just trying to find out what might sell the best, and if they need advice about breeding, they ask other breeders. Your so-called "mentor" moved, she didn't fall off the face of the earth. There are phones and emails, which is how most of us communicate. You certainly had no trouble doing it here. And what about the person who sold you your lab "with breeding rights"? Clearly she must know about breeding, why not ask her? 

Sorry, but my responses are not pleasant because this kind of post really upsets me. I am heavily involved in doodle rescue and I see the fallout from BYBs and people who think it would be a good idea to breed doodles every day. You say you are not a BYB, but you also clearly have no experience with breeding or even any idea of where to get it. You don't have to have 20 dogs to be a backyard breeder. Yes, the reputable and experienced breeders all had to start somewhere, but this isn't where you start. Your dog hasn't even been tested yet. To me, it looks like you are here trying to find out what sells. You said "I know a lot of people don't like it when people talk about breeding." Well, if you knew that and chose to go ahead and talk about it anyway, you shouldn't be surprised if you get responses that are less than enthusiastic. 

I have been researching breeding doodles. I have been deciding what I want to do and how I want to do it. I am new to this forum and if I would have known there was a section dedicated to breeders or if I knew how to get ahold of other breeders on this forum I would have. AND I did not join this forum with the intension of talking only about dog breeding. It just happen to be a post. Yes I  am new to doodle breeding but it's better to learn as much as possible so I can make a better decision about what I want to do. I got my dog from a lab breeder not a doodle breeder. I would value the incite and information from a doodle breeder over any other breed. I know about dog breeding. I wanted doodle specific information. I think it is ridiculous that you assume that I know nothing. I have worked with dogs my whole life and yes that includes helping breeders. Don't assume you know something about me when you CLEARLY don't. AND as for my "SO CALLED MENTOR" she happens to be one of the head nurses at the Mayo clinic and so it isn't exactly easy to get ahold of her. AND the fact that I said something about 20 dogs doesn't mean that is what I think a BYB is. I was using that as an example. AND I am NOT a BYB and never will be. This forum is not where im starting my breeding program, I asked a simple question. I wasn't asking anybody to hold my hand while I figure out dog breeding. Like I said I know about breeding. I wanted breed specific information. I am good with any size dog that is why I asked about size. Not because I wanted to know which one sold better.

My post wasn't nasty. I'm sorry you have felt attacked. I have been on your end before and have empathy for how you are feeling. Even if you were a backyard breeder you still have every right to make your own decision. best wishes

No, not yours, Michelle. Im sorry that I wasn't clear on who's postings I was referring to. It was the 2 responses previous to my postings. Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. I hate that people think just because I want to breed my dog that it's a terrible, irresponsible thing to do. Thanks again for understanding.

Yes, Laura, everyone has the right to express their feelings. And everyone has the right to express their feelings in response to anything that is posted in this public forum. 

Tammy was not being attacked. The idea of casual or irresponsible breeding is what was being questioned and discouraged. The idea, not the person. There is a difference. 

Amen, Karen!

Ditto.

I get that. But I am not trying to be casual or irresponsible about breeding. Just out of curiosity what is your idea of casual and irresponsible breeding?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service