DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I know this is a nutso question, but lately Oliver has this weird smell about him. I have checked his ears, no sign of redness of problem there, and he is not scratching them. I have him bathed once a month, and his anal glands are checked too. It is sort of a doggie smell, but I cant pinpoint it. It usually appears about a week after grooming and bath, sort of a sour smell. His teeth are white, no problems there, maybe this is normal?..My aussie does not have this smell, and I can't remember any of my other dogs having this either. His skin is fine, not dry, and fur is fine too. He eats TOTW Roasted fowl, and does just fine on it. He used to be on the salmon one, but I noticed a fishy smell eminationg from him, and changed the food to the other. Any ideas or suggestions for us?

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Murph does have a bit of a "doggie smell" too, but it's usually not for a few weeks after his grooming. I'm not sure what causes it....we've just sort of gotten used to it.
it is just so strAnge, we are used to it too, but I wonder if other people smell it when they come in my house, and are just being nice and not saying anything.
Clancy, who sheds, gets a more 'doggy' smell. Ned as his own scent totally and it isn't doggy but definitely specific to Ned.
it is so weird to me, but I am going to look into this further if I can
I don't know if this will help, but there is an indentation on my daughter's dog on his lower lip that tends to hold food in it
if it is not cleaned off. He is a poodle and I discovered the problem while grooming him; we keep his snout shaved and in
the process of shaving the fur off his lower lip I realized it was collecting dried bits of food.. He also tends to get a bit of an "aroma" after a couple of weeks past his grooming. Cleaning his lip eliminated the problem.
thanks Sally, I am going to check that out right now. Maybe I missed something
Spud does this a few days after a bath or swimming. I wondered too. He smells like laundry that has not dried with a mix of dog blended in. He just plain has an offensive smell.

His coat dries on the outside but he has a very thick coat close to his skin that does not. It stays wet and molds like. I never realized this was going on.
He feels dry to the touch and looks dry too. Fooled me.
Now I take a Human Afro Pick and lift the hairs close to his skin up first, comb the ends, thin lift again to get air into his dense coat so it thorouly dries. You can try a hair dryer but if you have a curly coat-- then mats form.
that is interesting, I am going to see if that might be the problem. Olivers's coat is not that dense, and I really keep it short so it doesn't matt, but I am going to try what you do, and see if I notice a difference..Thanks Joanne
I agree. That is exactly what happens.
Does he feel sticky too? I gave a bath in June--I think it was, and a few days later he just Sticky. I thought it was Spit ( I had a discussion then called Oh Spit) from Starlit chewing on him when they played.

The next day I gave up and shaved him down with a 10 blade. It was then I discovered the hair way down by the skin STUNK. I did not smell it that strong by inspection but oh my doodle when I got close and shaved underneath there was the mildew smell. :( Smelled like laundry left in the dryer that you discover days later.
Joanne, I hadn't really thought about this until you brought it up. It takes Murphy probably 8 hours to dry. (his coat is about 2")
I can towel him and blow dry some of it but never get him completely dry. If he has all day to dry I think we do better. If its later and he goes to sleep not completely dry, I think that is when he gets that sour smell.

One time it was just his collar with that smell.
Thanks
Joanne, that is it exactly, wet laundry left in the washer !!!!!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service