DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi I am new to doodle kisses...my golden doodle was 2 yrs in January, he has been professionally trained since we got him around 9 weeks old. He's super sweet with me & my 12 year old. My high schooler & my husband good too, although will growl at them occasionally. My main issue... kids that are neighborhood kids come into house, Bailey is fine. But kids maybe from school or kids that come hang out in house or kids that sleep over-FORGET IT-he growls, he barks, he nudges them in the butt with his nose, its awful!! and nightmarish! He's a guard dog, wicked protective (something I thought golden doodles were not). Trainer suggested rewarding him with treats to distract this behavior-which I do not agree with (why positively reward him with negative behaviors?) thus I feel I have created this outcome. He stays on his leash which I hold when others are here, it really is no fun at all. I really don't like when he barks and growls at other kids. And lastly, my friend came over while trainer was at my house, my dog dislikes her, even at the end of the 90 minute session nothing changed, he continued growling and barking at her...

HELP-- I am loosing patience daily with my dog whom I love very much, but I wish this 1 behavior can change.  I am willing to try ANY thing to help my dog. Thanks in advance

Views: 479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you Jane I am going to check out Doggy Dan today!! 

I think maybe a doodle playgroup might be good for him too. we are in south florida -wellington area, maybe see if anyone else is around here. thanks again for your assistance and I will keep you posted.

thanks for responding to my post! working all day yesterday. I do like the idea of placing him in a room temporarily only issue is he would not be able to see the guests coming in. I think one of this issue has arisen it that myself and my daughter were only involved in his training from the beginning, which was recommended by my trainer (whose a male). I believe this has created a problem. So its me all the way!! I do all the training plus the nightly 20 minute obedient training too, so Bailey and I are bonded! 

I do not show nervousness in any situation, as I know this can only add fuel to the fire!!! It makes me crazy though, when my teenage son has friends over that are over 6 feet tall and they are frightened of my dog!!! My kids say all the time, "why can't Bailey just like everyone!' 

It really shouldn't matter if he can't see the visitors....I do find though it's more successful that they are gated versus just closed in another room.   I did all of the training with Murphy too, and so I have much better control over him than my son or husband.  I really do understand the feeling of "why can't our dog be like other dogs".  I think that is a perfectly normal feeling.  I would keep going with the training and strong leadership, but I would restrict Bailey's access to your son's friends unless you are there to manage the situation.  Murph is now six, and I will say that his behavior is much better than it was when we first started with the training.  I am just very aware of what his triggers are and the situations where he can't be trusted, and I avoid setting him up to fail. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service