DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have a goldendoodle and may, someday in the future, get a labradoodle so I am posing the dangerous question...

Are Goldendoodles better behaved than Labradoodles?

Sorry, but my observation on this board....I have read posts of toy destroyers (LD's), pups that cry all night (LD's), barkers (LD's) etc...

My GD is pretty much an easy angel - like the golden child, hehe.

Now before you LD owners want to pinch the heck out of me please take heart that I intend the question in the most loving way possible.

Peace and hugs to all the LD owners. Just answer the question unbiasedly. ;o)

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very Good post, and it would be wonderful to have this information. Not sure how we could try to gather it all, a poll might work!
Attachments:
Does anyone know how to make an online poll? Adina? I know there are sites that you can create polls and just answer questions. It would be fun to see what issues each DK owner had to deal with individually.
polldaddy.com is a good one -- it's what Lynne used for her poll in the forum. If enough people LIKE these kinds of polls and we get an AWESOME response to them...then we can have a weekly or monthly poll regularly. Karen & Jack tried to do it a while back but the response rate was low compared to how many members we have.
LD owner here.
Sounds like you should get another easy angel GD, and you won't have to worry about the potential LD owner troubles!!
You love your GD, so why switch?

My LDs have had none of the problems you anticipate with owning one.
I have a GD who is 14 mos old, he came with manners, but he also loves to chew up paper, when you are not around. I also have a ALD who is 8 mos old, he came without manners, countersurfs, runs all over the furniture, but he is starting to understand the rules. They are both boys, and I think boys are a little wilder than girls. The GD trains easier for me, and the ALD seems to ADHD, but he is so sweet and as he gets older he is getting better.
My two LDs are very mellow and well behaved, and when you compare their behaviour to the GD next door, they are angels and the GD is the tazmanian devil. But I dont think it is breed specific, much more likely influenced by the temperment of the parent dogs and the manner in which they are raised, both at the breeders and in their forever home.
My multi-gen LD Kona was a cinch. All puppies go through their phases, and chewing an end table and digging through my potted plants was the most trouble she caused :) She went through a little barky stage, but has improved soooo much, people look at me funny when I say she's barky. She is the sweetest girl, but tough too and can hold her own with the bigger dogs. She is forever sticking her butt in the air and waving it around, play, play, play with meeeeee. She does like to chew, I just give her the appropriate things to chew on and we are good to go. I would do another in a heartbeat, a little down the road though :)
I don't think it matters which breed. Some of each breed carry all the traits, good and bad. My Gracie (mini GD) is often called Taz or The Monster. She is beginning to grow out of that and become a great gal, but puppyhood for either breed can be challenging. You just have to love and train, train, train.....
Where I work I see both Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. My Connor is an F1 goldendoodle (he is the best dog ever). I have seen labradoodles that are calm,WELL-TRAINED and beautiful. I had a 5-month old goldendoodle in about a year ago that growled at me as I approached with a treat. He also growled at everything that moved...not in a funny way. :-0 I agree with everyone who says training and consistency is the key to having a "good" dog. Generally, though, I think if you want to consider the difference between the two doodles, think about the difference between labs and golden retrievers. They are both wonderful dogs, but they do have personality differences...as 2 separate breeds.

And whatever doodle you decide on, start training as soon as possible and keep the training up until the dog reachs maturity. (Boys take a little longer to mature than girls.)

If you want a different perspective, talk with a reputable breeders who breeds both labra- and golden- doodles. Then find the dog you absolutely love and connect with and whatever kind of doodle it is, it will be the right dog for you!
Giada had some normal puppy things to work through, but all in all she is an excellent dog!! Now I would be afraid to get a GL because most of the ones I hear about shed.
I can only say that my labradoodle was extemely easy to potty train, yes he carried my shoes and socks and chewed them if given the opportunity, But so far he is easier to live with than my sis-in-laws golden retriever, not a mix though. Mine is very calm, at only 13 months old, a bit hard to handle on a lease, needs more work, but he's very quick to catch on. Just a bit stubborn - he knows what he's to do, but it's a hard decision sometimes... do I do what I want or what she wants? LOL. He is a hugger, and lover, but will play ball for exercise which is great. Yet he doesn't nag constantly to play, like the golden does. He is, at present, a grooming nightmare, I'm hoping to learn from this website how to handle that better. He does shed, alittle, but not bad.
Hey, great question. I have two golden "angels" and while both are mellow....Grover is hands down the winner. No destruction from either, unless you count the time Scrappy dropped a hand weight down the stairs and it made a large hole in the wall (don't know how she managed to pick it up in the first place)
Personally, I think whether LD or GD, it depends on the parents, etc, etc. I've heard of destruction and hyperactivity on both counts.
Interestingly enough, while in conversation with a long time Lab owner/lover, he claims that the black labs are tops on the hyper scale, while the chocolate and yellow are much less so....the yellow Labs being the mellowist. Don't know if that's fact, but I thought it was interesting. We did have a black Lab puppy given to us, while my kids were tiny.....tried every training program available, but she was just too much for me at the time and I sadly had to rehome her. My brother's black Lab, even at 2 yrs, continually tries to jump on top of you whether you're sitting or standing.......while my brother in law's chocolate Lab has been a big, mellow guy since day one....

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service