DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

The breeder gave me some canned food from Costco when I first got Crush. I added it to her food sometimes just for an extra treat. The breeder raved about the ratings that it had which I confirmed when I did an online search. The canned food looked pretty wholesome, too. 

I do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's and picked up a canned dog food when I got home. I  didn't know about the quality so I figured I would research it when I got home. The internet didn't bring up a lot of information on the quality other than it contains soy which dogs are sometimes allergic to. I opened up the can to check it out and it looked horrible. There was a gelatin-like layer on the top that didn't sit well with me. Crush was in the kitchen and was very interested in what I had so I gave her a tiny taste and threw out the rest. If I ever buy canned food to add to Crush's kibble, I'm going to costco from now on. However, when I want to add things to her food I usually just toss in some dog-approved vegetables or pumpkin puree. 

Just thought I'd let you all know. 

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, F. I take that trust very seriously. :) 

I just found the recommended food list. It's very helpful. 

I was organizing FInn's vet records just yesterday and I realized that for his first 2 years we were in and out of the vet's for diarrhea like a revolving door…leaving with armfuls of medicine and trying one food after another. Since I switched him to Acana (alternating Chicken with Burbank Potato with Lamb and Apple) and threw out the canned food for topping -- no more issues. Knock on wood --all's been good for over a year.  And it's less expensive in the long run. Thank you, Karen and the Food Group!!

I use mostly home cooked chicken or lean ground beef with veggies mixed into the kibble. He's never been one for store treats, so small bits of cheese, chicken, or even apple are great for him.   

I'm so glad to hear this, Cheryl.

Many if not most canned dog foods and many human foods contain an ingredient called carrageenan, which comes from red seaweed and helps give a gelatinous consistency. Carrageenan is a controversial ingredient which has been linked to cancer, ulcerative colitis and other GI diseases in humans. Another case where "natural" doesn't necessarily equal healthy or safe. 

Meanwhile, I just realized that this discussion is in the main forum and not The Food Group, lol. 

Should I have posted there? I'm unclear as to the forum vs. group thing. 

In the groups, you generally get more detailed advice and information from people who have more experience and expertise with the topic. You reach a larger, more general audience in the main forum.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service