DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I need some advice! We love our little Lola very much, but I think she is so timid it is making it hard to take her places. She is still unsure about dogs, bsides her dog friends. Also she has some seperation anxiety and I have a hard time leaving her in the car or anywhere without her barking and howling. She is up to CGC level training and can't pass because of her howling when I walk away. She is the sweetest thing, but is now barking at dogs and snapping. We have her in doggie daycare 1 day a week and it's not getting much better. She is a year old now, I'm wondering if this is an age, personality, socialization, pack thing or what it is? She is attached to me and I think I have done everything to be the leader. Has anyone else had this experience with their doodle?

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm positive a large part of this is just her personality or temperament. However, there might still be some things that you can do to increase her confidence and ability to be alone calmly. My suggestion is to contact a behaviorist who might have some really great ways to do this so you have expert guidance. Contact someone who has experience in this particular area and get references. I wish I had some tips!
We are a very active family and wanted a dog to take along with us. It is hard when she is real nervous around other dogs and now barking and snapping. She is now doing this with neighbor dogs she knows. She also has a protective side (food, bones, other dogs). We have worked on this since puppyhood. We are having a hard time putting our 6 year old son above her in the pack. She still growls and snaps at him sometimes. I'm feeling a little worried. I am working with a trainer/behaviorist now in a classroom for her CGC. Private sessions are pretty spendy. I may have to go that route. I sometimes think Lola would have liked a less active, single family home.
Perhaps...also consider researching other behaviorists...where do you live?
Thank you for all your information. She barks at passing dogs both on leash and off. Sometimes she doesn't bark and is fine. Other times she approaches the dog off leash and she ends up snapping at the dog if it gets in her face. I don't know if she feels threatened. She was very timid and almost afraid as a puppy. She loves people and strangers, no problem there. The only issue is with my son. I have spoken to the breeder and she thinks it is a pack leader issue. Maybe I need to seek another behaviorist. I really want her to like other dogs, it is important to us as a family.
Lake Oswego, Oregon
So ... being somewhere near Portland I am sure there are quite a few qualified behaviorists near you.
I can't vouche for how she is with this specific problem, but I've spoken with Nicole Nicassio on the phone before and she seems very KIND and easy to work with: http://www.nicolenicassio.com/pages/meet_the_trainer.html
I'm sure she'd call you back and just chat and make refer you to someone else if you don't want her.
When I looked up Lake Oswego on APDT.com I found http://www.wonder-puppy.com/ is that where your puppy goes now? I don't know anything about them, but again somewhere to look. It doesn't seem like they have a behaviorist though.

There is this: http://www.animalbehaviorclinic.net/home

or here: http://www.portlandpaws.com/aboutus/casey.html

To me it sounds like she DOES feel threatened or afraid in situations where she snaps like that.
Often, talking about going to a behaviorist sounds like it's going to be this long range difficult battle and can seem overwhelming to even think about it. However, with the right behaviorist you might find that it's actually much easier to manage and train than you think. We have one member who had to go through two behaviorist before she found one that was an excellent fit -- she nailed the problem and gave them some simple things to do that made a huge difference in their dog. Would you like me to contact this member so they can talk with you more? She doesn't live near you but can give you some tips on what to look for :-)
That would be great! Thank you for all your time and responses. You are very helpful!
FYI: Another route to find a behaviorist is thru your vet because I'm sure a lot of their clients have issues (different fears/training blocks) & so they'll need to know either whom to refer them to or some behavioral interventions themselves.

I agree with Adina & Jane that this seems to be more of a fear/anxiety response than Lola's underlying personality. Don't know if this would be helpful at all, probably something to run by your behaviorist, but if you need a calm dog to practice with, Oski & I live in Portland. He's not perfect but the majority of dogs whose owner's have said have issues with other dogs (get scared, snap, get aggressive,...) do really well around Oski. We'll meet dogs on our walks where their owners are afraid to let them walk by us because they're so skittish around other dogs--Oski will lie down & let them come to him (He does this because he's so desperate to say hi to everyone & he's learned that it works with all dogs! Sneaky doodle, lol). Then he'll pop up, they'll sniff each other, & if things are still going well, he'll drop down into the play pose to invite them to play with him.
Thank you Cam and Oski! Maybe we can meet at the doodle romp on Sat. I think Lola will be OK if I take it slow. If we don't meet there, maybe we can set something up. It's funny because she picks and chooses who she is nervous with and how she is going to react. It can be different with each dog. If they greet very nicely, she is fine. If they greet very assertively, she get's nervous and can bark or snap. Thanks for all you input!
It doesn't sound like she's picking and choosing it sounds like there's a definite pattern. When dogs are polite, she is polite back. When dogs are pushy and rude she doesn't tolerate it very well out of fear. I'm not sure that meetings with polite dogs will make much of a difference in that case.
Hi, I would be very concerned & focused on her behavior with your 6 year old son. Read about Melissa & Bear on thedoodlezoo.com. There a lots of things you can do about separation anxiety & I'm sure you have studied them. But if she's growling at your son, I would take that very seriously. forget the CGC & focus entirely on that. This can be a very dangerous situation. You may be right when you say this may not be the right home for this dog. She may be happier in a more structured environment where she just stays home with an adult couple. YOu might be happier & certainly more relaxed with a more adventurous less stressed dog. PUppy love from Joy & furry folk
I have to agree. I would never want to rehome Lola, but I do have to admit I have been concerned. We really do love her and she is such a gentle soul. We have to ask her to be nice when he is around her sometimes. Is this a normal response for a dog around their family children if she is afraid. I understand that young kids move fast, but he is gentle with her. She always likes other kids. My son has started to say that the dog doesn't like him! Sad!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service